Blue Raiders Defeat Lipscomb

Victor Hoang plays at the tennis match against Jackson State on Friday, Jan. 30. 2015. Hoang is an exchange student from Mississauga, Ontario. (MTSU Sidelines/Grant Massey)

NASHVILLE – Middle Tennessee defeated Lipscomb on Wednesday at the Nashboro Village Athletic Club, improving to 7-4 on the season.

The lone point for Lipscomb on the afternoon came from two doubles victories. Rob Mitchell and Philippe Courteau took down Ettore Zito and Victor Hoang 8-5, and Daniel Hernandez and Thais Minet defeated Robin Riethmueller and Miguel Hernandez 8-7.

Yannick Born and Gian Issa turned back John Tougher and Alex Pavel 8-3, but it was not enough.

The two wins secured the doubles point for the Bison, leaving the Blue Raiders to play catchup in singles play.

MTSU dominated in singles play. They won all six matches, leading to a Blue Raider victory.

At No. 1 singles, Zito capitalized early, taking the first set handily 6-1. Zito never took his foot off the gas in the second set, taking it 6-2 over Mitchell, and earning the first point of the day for MTSU.

Issa, playing No. 4 singles for the Blue Raiders, dominated his match against the Bison’s Pavel, taking it in two sets 6-2, 6-1.

Dima Zyhmantovich followed suit at No. 2 singles, winning in two sets over Lipscomb’s Alejandr Manzanares 6-4, 6-2.

At No. 3 singles, Hoang cruised through his first set against Courteau 6-1. Hoang suffered a setback in the second set, never finding a rhythm and losing it 6-3. In the third set, Hoang found his stride, and took the final frame handily, 6-2, earning the decisive fourth point for the Blue Raiders.

Both Yannick Born and Robin Riethmueller won handily at No. 5 and No. 6 singles, notching the final two points of the day. Born cruised past Hernandez 6-2, 6-3 to earn the fifth point for MTSU, while Riethmueller defeated Tougher 6-2, 6-2 to finish the day for the Blue Raiders.

The six singles victories powered MTSU to the 6-1 win.

The Blue Raiders face a tough test in their next match. They will welcome No. 15 Texas-Christian to town on Friday. MTSU will have their hands full, as TCU has three ranked singles players and three ranked doubles teams. The match is set to begin at 2 p.m. CST.

Previous Blue Raider Women's Golf Ties for 10th at Hurricane Invitational
Next MTSU Women's Tennis Notches Fourth-Straight Win