JaQuel Richmond Released from Men’s Basketball Team

Freshman guard JaQuel Richmond takes a shot against Marshall's Jay Johnson. Coach Kermit Davis and the Blue Raiders trample the Thundering Heard in a 90-51 victory on the night of Thursday February, 19th. (MTSU Sidelines/R.J. Estrella)

MURFREESBORO – Middle Tennessee freshman point guard JaQuel Richmond has been released from the team, failing to make the trip to the Conference USA tournament with MTSU.

Richmond, a North Carolina native, averaged just 3.4 points and 1.3 rebounds in 13 starts and 27 games for the Blue Raiders.

The freshman last played against Western Kentucky on Feb. 22. He suffered an injury the Tuesday after that game in the weight room that caused him to miss the final three games of the regular season.

Richmond has not practiced with the team since the WKU game, and he did not travel with the team on either of its final two road trips.

Head Coach Kermit Davis said that he will not be back with MTSU.

The news of Richmond’s release comes less than 24 hours before the C-USA tournament begins on Wednesday. The sixth-seeded Blue Raiders (16-15) are set to begin play in the C-USA tournament Wednesday against 11th-seeded Charlotte (14-17) in Legacy Arena at the Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex in the first round of the C-USA Basketball Championships. The game is scheduled to start at 2:30 p.m. CST.

Previous MTSU Softball Use Five-Run Seventh to Beat NM State
Next Giddy Potts Named to C-USA All-Freshman Team