MTSU Beats ODU to Open Series

Middle Tennessee's Blue Raiders fail to find answers in their 8-1 loss to Libscomb on Wednesday March 24, 2015.

MURFREESBORO – Middle Tennessee (14-10, 6-1 C-USA) used solid pitching and effective hitting in a 7-2 win over Conference USA foe Old Dominion (13-9, 3-4 C-USA) Friday night at Reese Smith Jr. Field.

The Blue Raiders’ 6-1 start in league play is the best under Head Coach Jim McGuire and the best start against conference opponents since 2009.

Both teams did not really do much in the first two innings, but the third inning was when things started to open up.

ODU put a run on the scoreboard first, scoring a run in the top of the third off a Taylor Ostrich groundout to first base that scored Nick Walker.

MTSU wasted no time answering though, scoring three runs in the bottom of the inning. After three innings, the Blue Raiders led 3-1 over ODU.

The Monarchs cut the lead to one, 3-2, with a run in the fifth inning. However, MTSU answered again with two runs of its own in the bottom of the inning, extending its lead to 5-2.

The Blue Raiders added a run in both the seventh and eighth innings that led to the 7-2 Blue Raider victory.

Senior left fielder Jared Allen (2-for-4, 2 RBI), senior catcher Michael Adkins (2-for-5), senior third baseman Jake Ingold (2-for-2, RBI) and sophomore first baseman Kevin Dupree (3-for-4) all had multi-hit games.

Sophomore right fielder Brad Jarreau (1-for-3, RBI), junior center fielder Ronnie Jebavy (1-for-4, RBI) and senior shortstop Austin Bryant (1-for-2, RBI) provided the rest of the runs for MTSU.

ODU failed to have a hitter record multiple hits. MTSU outhit ODU 13-5 in on the night.

Senior starter Johnathan Frebis (4-2) earned the win for the Blue Raiders. The left-hander threw five innings of four-hit, two-run (one earned) baseball. He walked six and struck out five.

Senior relievers Kooper Kessler and Nathan Foriest pitched four inning combined, allowing just one hit during their time on the mound. Kessler struck out six Monarch batters in his three innings of work.

Greg Tomchick (3-2) suffered the loss for ODU. Tomchick lasted four innings Friday night, giving up three runs (two earned) on six hits. Relievers Sam Sinnen and Jake Josephs each gave up two runs.

Middle Tennessee will continue its series with Old Dominion on Saturday in the second game of the series. First pitch is slated for 3:30 p.m. CST.

For more Blue Raiders sports, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport.

Previous MTSU Opens MT Shootout With Win Over Illinois State
Next Blue Raiders Take Series With Win Over ODU