MTSU Loses Final Match of Tournament

Etorre Zito, a senior exchange student from Sicily, and Ben Davis, a senior exchange student from London, play against Jackson State on Friday, Jan. 30, 2015. The score was 7-0 for an MTSU win at Nashville Athletic Club. (MTSU Sidelines/Grant Massey)

SAN DIEGO – Middle Tennessee (9-8) battled Saturday in the last day of the Hilton San Diego Mission Classic, but fell to No. 39 Indiana 4-3.

Doubles play to start the match showed that both teams were striving to come away with a win. Giana Issa and Yannick Born played at the No. 1 doubles position, and battled through a tough match, ultimately falling 7-6.

Ettore Zito and Ben Davis found a rhythm at No. 2 doubles, and won the match 6-4. The doubles point came down to the No. 3 pairs, and Robin Riethmueller and Miguel Fernandez fought hard. Riethmueller and Fernandez fell behind late, however, losing the match 6-4.

Indiana led 1-0 heading into singles play. The Blue Raiders battled back as singles play began, with Davis and Fernandez picking up points in their matches.

Davis found his groove early, and cruised in straight sets, 6-3, 6-4. Fernandez, playing once again at No. 5, followed suit winning in straight sets 6-4, 6-3.
Gian Issa fell behind early at No. 6 singles, dropping the first set 4-6. Issa rallied however, finding a way in the last two sets, picking up the point 4-6, 7-5, 7-6.

Zito, like Issa, fell behind early in his match, losing the first set 4-6. Zito rallied, forcing a third set, but unlike Issa, ultimately fell 4-6, 7-5, 5-7.

The Blue Raiders led 3-2 following Zito’s match, and needed just one point to take the win as Born took the court. Born battled, taking his match at No. 3 singles to a third set. Born could not muster enough in the third set, losing 4-6, 6-4, 1-6.

Dima Zymantovich fell behind in the last match, losing the first set 4-6, but rallied, finding a way to win the second set 6-4. Zymantovich fell in the third though, letting the match slip away, losing 4-6, 6-4, 1-6.

The Hoosiers took the point at No. 4 singles, and sealed the 4-3 win over Middle Tennessee. The Blue Raiders ended the their time in the Hilton San Diego Mission Classic 0-3.

Middle Tennessee will return home for its next match, the MT Shootout, next Friday. The event will be played from Friday through Sunday.

For more Blue Raiders sports, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport.

Previous MTSU Takes Down No. 19 FAU in Extra Innings
Next MTSU Softball Swept by FAU