MTSU Loses in MT Shootout Semis to No. 61 ODU

Etorre Zito, a senior exchange student from Sicily, and Ben Davis, a senior exchange student from London, play against Jackson State on Friday, Jan. 30, 2015. The score was 7-0 for an MTSU win at Nashville Athletic Club. (MTSU Sidelines/Grant Massey)

MURFREESBORO – Middle Tennessee’s men’s tennis team (10-9) was shutout, 4-0, by No. 61-ranked Old Dominion (12-1) Saturday, ending its chances of defending its MT Shootout title from last year.

All three matches of doubles play were needed to decide the doubles point.

At No. 3, MTSU’s pair of Dima Zyhmantovich and Ettore Zito turned back ODU’s Zvonimir Podvinski and Theophile Lanthiez 6-1.

Carlos Lopez Villa and Javier Jover Maestre picked up a 6-4 victory at the No. 2 position, defeating MTSU’s Robin Riethmueller and Yannick Born.

This left the doubles point up for grabs at No. 1, where Ben Davis and Victor Hoang were doing battle with the Monarchs’ Michael Weindl and Adam Moundir. Weindl and Moundir nailed down the doubles point for ODU, as they won the match 6-2.

The first two matches of singles play were quick victories for ODU. At No. 1, ODU’s No. 102nd-ranked Lopez Villa made things look easy. He defeated Zito 6-0, 6-2 in straight sets.

Born fell in straight sets at the No. 3 position, losing to Weindl 6-3, 6-3 in straight sets. The two quick wins gave the Monarchs a 3-0 advantage.

Gian Issa fought hard at No. 4. He fell 6-3 in the first set against Jover Maestre. Issa returned the favor, taking the second set 6=3. ODU’s netter earned the 6-2 victory in the final set, taking the point. It was the match-clinching fourth point for ODU.

The loss ended MTSU’s chances of defending its MT Shootout crown from last year. MTSU will face the loser of South Alabama and Southern Miss for third place on Sunday.

For more Blue Raiders sports, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport.

Previous MTSU Softball Swept by UTSA in Doubleheader
Next CNN's Lisa Ling Speaks to MTSU Students