MTSU Softball Swept by FAU

BOCA RATON, Fla. – Middle Tennessee’s softball team (11-13, 1-8 C-USA) was shutout Sunday in its 5-0 loss to Florida Atlantic (24-7-1, 5-1 C-USA), completing the sweep for the Owls.

Offensive struggles were the name of the game for the Blue Raiders in the series. MTSU was shutout twice in three games at FAU, managing just one run in the entire series. MTSU only tallied 10 hits on the weekend, hitting a poultry .172 against FAU’s stout pitching, its lowest mark this season.

There were just three Blue Raiders that knocked more than one hit in the series. Junior infielder Megan Griffith, senior infielder Samantha Nieves and freshman outfielder Cor’Nisha Birdsong all had two hits in the three-game series.

On Sunday, the game was scoreless through the first two innings. The Owls got on the scoreboard first, putting up four runs in the bottom of the third. An RBI double and a three-run homer to right field by Laura Mann did the damage for FAU. It proved to be too much for MTSU to overcome.

An additional run was added by FAU in the sixth on an RBI single up the middle by Delaney Rickey. This pushed the Owls’ lead to 5-0, a score they went on to win by, finishing off the sweep of the Blue Raiders.

Birdsong, Nieves, sophomore infielder Marinna Shadley and sophomore infielder Austyn Whaley all recorded a hit Sunday, the only four hits MTSU managed in the game.

Junior starter Kelci Cheney recorded her second-straight loss of the weekend for MTSU. Her record has now fallen to 6-8 after she threw four innings, allowing four runs on four hits in the loss. Freshman pitcher Mackenzie Price worked the final two innings where she gave up three hits and a run. It was her longest outing of the season.

Amanda Wilson notched the win for FAU, pushing her record to 6-1 this season. She finished off a dominant weekend for the Owls’ pitching staff. Wilson threw four innings, allowing four hits and zero runs. Tatum Buckley threw two perfect innings in relief of Wilson.

MTSU has now lost four in a row, and eight of its last 10. The Blue Raiders now sit two games under .500.

Middle Tennessee will look to right the ship when they return home for a doubleheader against UT Martin on Wednesday. First pitch is set for 3 p.m. CST at Blue Raider Softball Field.

For more Blue Raiders sports, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport.