MTSU Women’s Tennis Extends Winning Streak to Seven

MURFREESBORO – Middle Tennessee’s women’s tennis team (15-3) continued streaking Sunday, earning a 4-1 victory over Alabama-Birmingham (6-5).

It was the Blue Raiders seventh-consecutive win, and they remained undefeated (8-0) at home this season. They ended UAB’s four-match winning streak.

The Blazers came out strong and grabbed the doubles point after three tight matches.

Sarah and Sediri and Jesse Grace finished their doubles match first at No. 3. They turned back UAB’s Rachel Daniel and Amy Lowther 8-6.

UAB won the other two doubles matches though to take the doubles point. The matches at No. 1 and No. 2 were both tied at six apiece. Tiffany William and Darya Shulzhanok’s match at No. 1 finished first, ending with a 7-8 (4-7) defeat for the pair to Caroline Faught and Paula Castro.

Nayara Moraes and Brittany Huxley suffered a similar fate at No. 2, dropping a 6-8 decision to Pardis Kianoush and Elaine Simon. The Blazer took the 1-0 advantage to singles play.

As it has all season, MTSU dominated singles play. Huxley got MTSU its first point at No. 5. She disposed of Lowther 6-1, 6-1 to tie the match. William pushed the Blue Raiders out in front, as she breezed to a 6-2, 6-2 victory at No. 1. MTSU now held a 2-1 lead.

Grace earned another straight-set win for the Blue Raiders at No. 3. She turned back the Blazers’ Castro 6-1, 6-2. Shulzhanok finished off the match with a 6-3, 6-4 win at No. 2, providing the match-winning fourth point for MTSU.

The matches at No. 4 and No. 6 went unfinished, but MTSU was winning both of them. At No. 4, Sediri, filling in for the injured Giulia Squadrin, had taken the first set 6-4 over Simon. Sediri was behind 2-3 in the second set before the match was called.

Moraes was also ahead at No. 6. She won the first set (7-6 (8-6) over Catherine Ragon. After having to put a mighty effort win the first set, Moraes was cruising 4-0 in the second set before MTSU clinched the victory. Moraes remains undefeated (13-0) in singles play this season.

Middle Tennessee will now go on the road for its next four matches. The Blue Raiders next match will be against North Texas in San Antonio on Friday. The match will begin at 11 a.m. CST.

Previous MTSU Softball Splits Doubleheader with FIU
Next Blue Raiders Accept Bid to CIT