MTSU Women’s Tennis Keeps Rolling with Seventh-Straight Win

NASHVILLE – Middle Tennessee’s women’s tennis team opened up conference play Friday,  improving to 14-3 on the year after a 4-1 win over Charlotte (4-5, 0-1 C-USA) at the Nashboro Village Athletic Club.

It was the No. 65 Blue Raiders’ sixth-straight win. MTSU (14-3, 1-0 C-USA) remained undefeated at home this season, improving to 7-0.

MTSU made quick work of the 49ers in doubles play. All three doubles pairs won by the same margin Friday, winning 6-2.

Tiffany William and Darya Shulzhanok defeated Victoria Pahlett and Lisa Grosselius at No. 1 doubles. Brittany Huxley and Nayara Moraes defeated Fleur Holtkamp and Natsuko Takayanagi at No. 2 doubles, and Giulia Squadrin and Jesse Grace turned back Macy Vonderschmidt and Tyler Baker at No. 3 doubles. This gave MTSU’s women’s netters the 1-0 lead heading to singles action.

Charlotte tied things up at No. 4, earning its only point of the match after Squadrin retired due to an injury in the second set, giving the victory to Holtkamp. Squadrin had won the first set 6-1 and was leading the second set 2-1 before she retired.

Shulzhanok put the Blue Raiders back in front at No. 2 singles. She took care of Grosselius in straight sets 6-4, 6-3.. Grace followed produced the same result at No. 3, defeating Charlotte’s Vonderschmidt 6-4, 6-3. This gave MTSU the 3-1 advantage.

William secured the decisive fourth point for the Blue Raiders at No. 1. She dropped the first set 3-6, but found her groove in the final two sets, defeating the 49ers’ Pahlett 3-6, 6-2, 6-2. Her victory gave MTSU the 4-1 win.

Huxley and Moraes’ matches at No. 5 and No. 6, respectively, went unfinished.

Middle Tennessee will look to continue its winning streak on Sunday against another conference opponent at home in UAB. The match is scheduled to get underway at 11 a.m. CST.

Previous Clarification on MTSU's Recent Print Policy Changes
Next MTSU's Tourney Hopes Dashed in C-USA Championship