MTSU Women’s Tennis Notches Fourth-Straight Win

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. – Middle Tennessee’s women’s tennis team improved to 12-3 on the year Wednesday, defeating Chattanooga 5-2, and pushing their win streak to four.

MTSU became ranked for the first time in five years on Tuesday, coming in at No. 65. The Blue Raiders have now won nine of their last ten matches.

UTC was not intimidated by the nationally ranked Blue Raiders though. The Mocs came out and earned the first point of the day, locking down two wins in doubles action.

The pairs of Kayla Jones and Samantha Caswell and Kaylene Chadwell and Kelsey Coots picked up the two wins for UTC. Jones and Caswell took down Tiffany William and Darya Shulzhanok 8-3, and Chadwell and Coots defeated Brittany Huxley and Nayara Moraes 8-5 to secure the point. The Mocs took the 1-0 advantage into singles play.

At No. 5 singles, Huxley played the most solid match of the afternoon for the Blue Raiders. Huxley never gave Claire Mulyadi a chance, taking the match and the point in straight sets, 6-0, 6-0.

At No. 1 singles, William controlled her match with Jones from the get-go, taking the win in straight sets 6-1, 6-3. This put MTSU up 2-1.

Jesse Grace, playing at No. 3 singles, took the first set handily in her match 6-1 over Chadwell. Chadwell found her stride in the second set though, and Grace never recovered, losing in three sets 6-1, 4-6, 1-6. This even the match at 2 apiece.

Giulia Squadrin, like Shulzhanok, earned her victory at No. 4 singles after three tough sets with Caswell. Squadrin capitalized early, winning the first set 6-3. Caswell came right back though, taking the second set 6-4. In the third set, Squadrin played strong, taking the victory and the point for the Blue Raiders, 6-3, 4-6, 6-2.

Shulzhanok fell behind early at No. 2 singles, losing the first set 7-5 to UTC’s Coots. Shulzhanok rallied in the second set before cruising in the third to take the match 5-7, 7-5, 6-0. She gave MTSU the game-clinching fourth point.

Nayara Moraes picked up the final point of the day for the Blue Raiders at No. 6 singles, winning her match in three sets over Allison Storie. Moraes won the first set handily 6-0. She dropped the second set 3-6, but fought back and won the third 6-4 to take the match, giving MTSU the 5-2 win.

Moraes’ victory was her Conference-USA leading 12th of the season. She also remained undefeated at 12-0. Shulzhanok is tied with Moraes for the most wins in the league, amassing a 12-1 record so far this season.

Squadrin and Huxley are not far behind, picking up their 11th and 10th wins of the season on Wednesday, respectively.

MTSU also leads C-USA in team wins with 12.

The Blue Raiders will look to continue their wining streak on Friday, as they hit the road to face the College of Charleston. Match is scheduled to start at 1:30 p.m. CST.

Previous Blue Raiders Defeat Lipscomb
Next MTSU Closed Again as Inclement Weather Continues