MTSU Women’s Tennis Wins Fifth Straight at Charleston

CHARLESTON, S.C. – Middle Tennessee’s women’s tennis team (13-3)  fought off a fierce comeback from the College of Charleston (1-9( Monday to earn their fifth-straight win, 4-3.

The match appeared to be an easy win in the beginning for the No. 65 Blue Raiders.

They took the doubles point to get a 1-0 advantage. At No. 3 doubles, Giulia Squadrin and Jesse Grace handled Grace Baker and Sara Jane Jones convincingly, 8-1, to win the first doubles match.

The tandem of Brittany Huxley and Nayara Moraes followed the lead of their teammates, turning back Mara Argyriou and Samantha Maddox 6-4 to secure the doubles point for MTSU.

The Blue Raiders took their 1-0 advantage into singles play, which started out well for them.

At No. 6 singles, Moraes made quick work of Helena Nyikos 6-3, 6-3. The win kept Moraes’ undefeated streak going this season. She is now 13-0.

Grace followed in the footsteps of Moraes at No. 3 singles, disposing of Argyriou 6-2, 6-2 to give MTSU the 3-0 lead, needing only one more point to win the match.

This is when things got interesting though. The Cougars won three-straight matches to tie it up at three apiece.

College of Charleston’s Katherine Schofield nailed down the first point of the day for the Cougars, defeating Squadrin 6-4, 6-4 at No. 4 singles.

Jenny Falcone brought the Cougars even closer with a 7-6, 6-3 win at No. 5 singles over Huxley.

The match at No. 2 singles was a battle. Darya Shulzhanok earned a tight 7-5 win in the first set. She was overpowered in the last two sets 2-6, 0-6, dropping the match to the Cougars’ Maddox. It was only Shulzhanok’s second loss in singles play this season. The match was now tied at three apiece.

All eyes were on No. 1 singles. Tiffany William faced off against Brooke McAmis in the decisive match. William took the first set 6-3. The second set was a tight affair, but William pulled out the victory 7-6 to win the point, and the match for the Blue Raiders 4-3.

The win was the fifth-straight for MTSU, and they are now 13-3 on the season. They now have more wins this season than they had all of last season.

The Blue Raiders  now head for conference play. They will face their first Conference-USA opponent of the season Friday when they hose Charlotte. The match is set to begin at 1 p.m. CST.

Previous Obama Calls for Boosting of High-Tech Training, Hiring
Next Olivia Jones Voted All-C-USA First Team