Bohemian in Winter | Style Profile

Style Profile is a fashion column showcasing trends in clothing, accessories and beauty.

by Ashley Rhoden // Staff Writer with Samantha Hearn // Photography Editor 

It’s been a cold, dismal few weeks with classes being canceled and inches of ice piling up, but that doesn’t mean you can’t be stylish in below-freezing temperatures!

Bohemian style, better known as “boho,” is a favorite street style fashion. It’s versatile in summer as well as winter, and it’s a great way to brighten up these drab days of snow and ice.

It’s what’s left of the flower child generation: the new-age survivors of the sex, drugs and rock n’ roll era. Now I don’t know about you guys, but I freaking adore it, and it’s totally do-able during the winter months.

Here’s my cheat sheet to being boho in winter:

The first step is figuring out your key pieces. Fashion evolves and eventually old pieces are redesigned to fit today’s culture.

Look for bell bottoms or super flared jeans. Bell bottoms are almost like boot-cut jeans on steroids. To modernize this look, pair the wide hem pants with a tighter top, adding a faux-fur vest to incorporate the natural elements that boho style thrives on.

Keeping the basics pretty simple is key because adding bold accessories will save your look. Boho style is one that tends to load up on accessories, and it’s 100% acceptable to be over-the-top on this one.

Beaded bracelets, sparkly headbands and long necklaces are signature pieces for boho style. Also try adding a wide-brim hat to balance the look of flared jeans. Having similar silhouettes in proportion to one another is a great way to shape the look. To keep your feet warm, put on some boots and make sure they’re chunky!

I hope this quick cheat sheet explained the basics of being a super chic woman with bohemian style during these frigid winter months. It’s easy to want to put on all black and stay really minimal when it’s cold out, but adding some earth tones and flavor to your wardrobe can be easily done with a quick trip to Goodwill or the mall, depending on your budget.

The really awesome thing about going boho is that your choice of stores are limitless. Someone somewhere is always selling floral prints, earth tones, floppy hats and fun accessories.

Bundle up and go boho!

For more fashion, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter/Instagram at @Sidelines_Life.

To contact Lifestyles editor John Connor Coulston, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com