Humming House – ‘Revelries’ | Album Review

Indie-folk band and Nashville-natives Humming House released their latest album, Revelries, at the end of March.

Revelries is the band’s third official album since forming in 2011 and features styles of folk, soul and bluegrass. Backed by instruments including mandolin, fiddle, acoustic guitar and bass, the 11 songs consist of both ballads and energetic beats.

The biggest difference from past Humming House albums is the band’s addition of female vocalist Leslie Rodriguez. Revelries also rearranges some previously recorded songs with Rodriguez’s vocals.

The opening song “Run with Me” is very upbeat and will have you moving your feet to the rhythm the whole time.

The fourth song on the album, “Nuts, Bolts, and Screws,” is simple, yet quaint. It has a slight bluesy tone to it, but a country stomp underneath to keep the song going.

To slow it down a bit, “I Am a Bird” is further down the track list. The instruments and female vocals incorporate a bit of jazz and the lyrics flow perfectly with the instrumental accompaniment.

All the other songs on the album include a great variety of sounds.  “Great Divide” is upbeat and energetic, while ‘Atlantic’ is slower and closer to original country roots that most people know. There’s also “This Hell Where We Belong,” which has a slight gothic tone to it. 

Revelries has a very raw sound to it. It captures the essence of the band performing live. With all the different styles infused throughout the album, it’s hard to not like at least one song.

For more updates, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter/Instagram at @Sidelines_Life.

To contact Lifestyles editor John Connor Coulston, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com

Previous Riverdale Student in Custody for Assaulting Football Coach, Trial Date Set
Next Death Cab for Cutie - 'Kintsugi' | Album Review

1 Comment

1. […] Humming House – ‘Revelries’ | Album Review […]