MTSU Women’s Golf Wins C-USA Title

FORT MYERS, Fla. – MTSU’s women’s golf team delivered an impressive performance at the Conference USA Championship, leading from beginning to end as the Blue Raiders captured their first-ever conference title at the Verandah Club Wednesday.

The title also provided MTSU with its first-ever NCAA Regional bid.

The second-seeded Blue Raiders finished the tournament at 7-under par, giving them an eight-stroke win over first-seeded Florida International, who finished 1-over. Overall, MTSU shot an 857 for the tournament.

In the final round on Wednesday, MTSU shot 1-over, which was more than enough after its scores from the previous two rounds. MTSU shot a 1-under in the first round, followed by a 7-under in the second round. The 7-under second round was the lowest round in program history and the history of the C-USA Championship.

MTSU led the tournament in pars with 183. They finished third in birdies with 44. They recorded the best scores of any school on Par 4″s (+14) and Par 5’s (-1).

Samantha Gotcher dominated the first two rounds of the individual leaderboard. She shot a career-low 68 (-4) in the first round, which at the time was the lowest round ever recorded by a Blue Raider in a conference championship.

However, she managed to outdo herself in the second round, scoring a 67 (-5) to beat her record from the first round. After two rounds, she held a six-stroke lead over FIU’s Meghan MacLaren.

While it seemed like Gotcher couldn’t be overtaken, MacLaren fired off a final round 65 (-7) to overtake Gotcher and win the individual competition at 10-under. MacLaren’s 65 set a C-USA Championship single-round record. Her final total of 206 also set a C-USA Championship 54-hole record.

Gotcher shot an even-par (72) in the final round to finish one stroke behind MacLaren at 9-under.

Avery George finished tied for fourth after shooting 3-under for the tournament. She shot rounds of 72, 70 and 71, respectively.

Emily Williams finished tied for ninth. She shot an even-par for the tournament, finishing with rounds of 73, 72 and 71.

Allie Knight came in at 9-over for the tournament, placing her tied for 28th. In the final round, she shot a 3-over 75. She shot a 74 and a 76 in the first two rounds, respectively.

Emily Miller was the lowest Blue Raider on the final leaderboard. She finished tied for 36th with a final score of 12-over. She tallied a final round 79 (+7) on Wednesday. She shot a 77 +5) in the first round and a 72 (E) in the second round.

Gotcher and Williams finished tied for the most pars in individual play with 40.

For more Blue Raiders sports, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport.

Previous MTSU Experimental Vehicle Program Places Third in International Human Exploration Rover Challenge
Next Murfreesboro Police Respond to Shooting on Bradyville Pike, Two Injured