MTSU’s Homecoming Set For Vanderbilt Game

Blue Raiders lose long struggle against BYU. Photo by Greg French MTSU Sidelines Staff Photographer

MURFREESBORO – Middle Tennessee’s Athletics Department announced the dates for its Homecoming, Family Weekend and Salute to Armed Services/Veterans Day for the 2015 Blue Raider football season on Thursday.

Homecoming is set for MTSU’s Oct. 3 game against Southeastern Conference foe Vanderbilt. The Blue Raiders’ Sept. 19 matchup with Charlotte has been designated as Family Weekend. The Nov. 7 game against Marshall has been set as MTSU’s annual Salute to Armed Services/Veterans Day.

“We have a tremendous home schedule this season and feel we have put together a very exciting promotional plan that our fans will enjoy,” said Director of Athletics Chris Massaro to MTSU’s Athletic Communications Department. “Homecoming is our premier event and this year’s has added incentive with neighboring rival Vanderbilt coming to town. This should provide a wonderful incentive for all of our alumni to gather on campus and meet up with old friends.”

Massaro went on to say to MTSU’s Athletic Communications Department, “Family weekend is always special on campus and our Salute to Armed Services promotion is one of the best in the country. We are always looking to embrace our fan experience and Floyd Stadium in 2015 will be the best yet.”

The game against Vanderbilt will be the 16th all-time matchup between the two schools. MTSU is on a three-game winning streak in the series, but Vanderbilt leads the overall series 12-3. The two schools have not played each other since 2005. This will be the first meeting between the Blue Raiders and the Commodores in Murfreesboro since 1920. MTSU has not hosted an SEC team since 2009 when it hosted Mississippi State.

MTSU holds a 51-22-2 record all-time in Homecoming games, including six-straight wins against in-state opponents. Further details on Homecoming will be announced at a later date.

Family Weekend will include many activities for families over the whole weekend, including the game with Charlotte on Sept. 19. The annual Salute to Armed Services/Veterans Day celebration will mark the 34th year that MTSU has honored veterans. The MTSU Athletics Department and the MTSU Veterans and Military Center have teamed up, and are asking fans to bring care package items that will be sent to veterans deployed overseas.

For more Blue Raiders sports, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport.

Previous Action Bronson - 'Mr. Wonderful' | Album Review
Next Murfreesboro Police Respond to Altercation Between Server and Owner of House of Hummus

1 Comment

1. Avatar
    jdtmtsuspring15
    April 17, 2015
    Reply

It’s great that MTSU has a home game against an SEC team this year. However, I don’t think it’s a particularly good thing for the Blue Raiders to have to play that caliber of team on homecoming. I suppose balancing out the need for attendance and the need to have a successful home stand in a homecoming game isn’t always the easiest thing to do for schools like Middle Tennessee. I’d like to see MTSU score a big win against Vanderbilt this year, but if MTSU can get a team of this magnitude to come back to Floyd Stadium in the near future, I’d hope that it isn’t on Homecoming. Conference opponents, if the schedule lends itself, would be the optimal choice for this type of game. Being that MTSU isn’t afforded the “cupcakes” like bigger football programs, a conference game would be the most logical choice. I’d also like to know if having a team come in on Homecoming boosts attendance. Obviously, there will be plenty of Vanderbilt fans at the game. I wouldn’t doubt that there is more black and gold than Raider blue in the crowd. That can’t be a positive, especially at Homecoming. Middle Tennessee has the potential of upsetting Vandy, but it doesn’t make sense to me that the school would choose to bring in a team who is likely to bring more fans than the home team for Homecoming.