Riverdale Student in Custody for Assaulting Football Coach, Trial Date Set

Rutherford County Sheriff responded to an altercation between a student and football coach at Riverdale High School Tuesday morning, according to an RSCO incident report.

The student, 17, was reported to have gone by Coach Ron Aydelott’s office to drop off a physical. According to the report, words were exchanged and the student left the office, but returned shortly and confronted the coach saying, “you trying to play me like a p—y.”

The 17-year-old junior then pushed the coach, who was still seated in his chair, and “struck him several times in the face,” according to the report.

Coach Aydelott was transported by EMS with severe lacerations, and was later reported to have suffered a broken nose and jaw.

According to the incident report, the student was arrested for aggravated assault and transported to Juvenille Detention without incident. He appeared in Juvenille Court Wednesday afternoon to determine whether or not he would be tried as an adult.

During the court session the student’s past domestic assault charge was discussed, according to a release. Last year, the student was charged in a domestic assault case involving his sister and was court ordered to undergo anger management classes.

The student will remain in custody until his next hearing.

A trial date has been set for June 4th.

For more local news updates, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_News

To contact news editor Max Smith, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com