Reggie Whatley Close to Deal with Titans, Will Workout For Giants

Former MTSU running back Reggie Whatley is close to reaching a deal with the Tennessee Titans as an undrafted free agent.

The deal has not been officially signed though, as Whatley still needs to workout for the Titans and sign the actual contract, if it is offered after a physical.

Whatley has that workout with the Titans on the weekend.

MTSU head coach Rick Stockstill announced via Twitter Sunday that Whatley had originally reached a deal, tweeting out, “Congrats to Reggie Whatley on signing with the Titans! Proud of U! #E.A.T.T.”

Coach Stockstill had a chance to talk to his former player Sunday after a deal was originally reported. Whatley has yet to sign any deal, but has a chance to be signed after his potential workout with the Titans.

“We talked (Sunday),” said Stockstill. “He’s thankful for the opportunity. That’s all you can ask for, to continue to chase your dream.”

Before Whatley works out with the Titans though, he has a workout with the New York Giants on Thursday, May 7.

Whatley will be traveling to New York for the workout. If Giants officials choose to sign the former MTSU running back following his workout, it would cancel his visit with the Titans.

The Rome, Ga., native ran the ball a career-high 113 times in 2014, amassing career-highs in yards (767) and touchdowns (7). In his career as a Blue Raider, he ran the ball 281 times. He finished his career with 1,666 yards rushing and 12 touchdowns.

“Reggie has been an underdog all his life,” said Stockstill of the 5-foot-7 running back. “He came here and people probably didn’t think he could be the player he became. He has a great competitive spirit and heart.”

Should Whatley strike a deal with the Titans, Whatley would join a crowded backfield, including Bishop Sankey, Shonn Greene, Dexter McCluster, Antonio Andrews and Lache Seastrunk.

It got even more crowded after this past week’s NFL draft. The Titans selected Alabama fullback Jalston Crowder in the fourth round, and Minnesota running back David Cobb in the fifth round.

“They’ll get a great team player and teammate,” said Stockstill about Whatley’s personality. “He’ll do whatever they ask. He’s humble. He’s got a big chip on his shoulder. They’ll love his personality and love being around him.”

While it could be difficult for Whatley to get playing time as a running back for the Titans or Giants, he could get a chance on special teams, specifically as a return man.

The 5-foot-7, 179-pounder returned the ball 27 times last season for 692 yards, an average of 25.6 yards per return, with his longest return being a 59-yarder against Southern Miss on Oct. 4.

“To me, he’s got to make the team on special teams because of his size, as a punt or kick returner and a gunner,” said Stockstill about Whatley’s prospects with the Titans. “He could potentially be a third-down back in passing situations.”

Whatley will hope to achieve success in the NFL like former Blue Raiders Erik Walden (Colts), Phillip Tanner (49ers) and Benny Cunningham (Rams).

Cunningham was the most recent Blue Raider to achieve significant playing time in the NFL after being picked up by the Rams in 2013 as an undrafted free agent.

“It says that you can accomplish all your dreams and goals here like you can anywhere else,” said Stockstill of his program. “You want to go to the NFL, we can do that. You want to graduate, we can do that. Whatever you want, you can get it right here.”

For more Blue Raiders sports, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport.

Previous VCU Tentatively Added to MTSU Men's Basketball Schedule
Next Cage the Elephant, Rise Against Rock the River at the Beale Street Music Festival in Memphis

2 Comments

1. gmwspring15
    May 4, 2015
    Reply

I’m glad to see the Titans are giving Whatley a chance to make a team. I would assume that there are probably not very many offers elsewhere.
    The Titans were horrendous in the return game last season, and Whatley could immediately fill that need will little money tied down. Whatley wouldn’t be the automatic pick for returner, especially considering that the Titans still have Leon Washington, and Dexter McCluster who have both been Pro Bowl returners at points in their careers. But at the very least Whatley could provide some necessary competition and depth to the position.
    Whatley shared carries with several players in MTSU’s backfield, so I don’t imagine he’ll be a guy getting the ball much on offense. I would expect the Titans to give more chances to guys that they have more tied in to. Bishop Sankey was a second round pick last year, Shonn Greene in making several million dollars this season, Dexter McCluster was given a rather large free agent contract last offseason, Minnesota running back David Cobb was just selected in this year’s draft as a fourth round pick along with Alabama full back Jalston Crowder.
    But many analysts are predicting that Greene is on his way out of the “crowded backfield” and that leaves a bit more room for Whatley to make a name for himself. And with Ken Whisenhunt coaching the team, who knows who will be in the backfield on any given game. I’ll be excited to see Whatley in a Titans uniform.

2. devin burdette aka dud b.
    June 3, 2015
    Reply

That’s. My lil bro I’m proud to see a homie I grown up with what ever your decisions bro I wit it a hundred percent