Chrome Pony saddles up for its 1st Bonnaroo experience

Katie Colwell // Contributing Writer

Bonnaroo 2015 can’t come soon enough for Nashville-based progressive rock group Chrome Pony.

The band’s scheduled 1 p.m. performance on Sunday, June 14, on Bonnaroo’s New Music on Tap Lounge stage will mark the defining moment to date for Chrome Pony, composed of Indiana natives and brothers Tyler and Kyle Davis, Ric Alessio and Jota Ese.

“We all come from different musical backgrounds and at this point, it is about creating something we can all appreciate” said singer-guitarist Tyler Davis in a recent phone interview.

Chrome Pony earned the right to perform at the 14th annual Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival, held just outside of Manchester, Tenn., by winning the last of three spots (along with Sol Cat and Future Unlimited) in BMI’s annual Road to Bonnaroo competition held in recent weeks at Mercy Lounge.

“We are ready to meet a bunch of new people,” Tyler Davis says. “It’s a hell of an environment to be an artist, to hear good music, and have a good time. We are just thankful to be included.”

Chrome Pony is ready to show fans at Bonnaroo how its music has evolved.

“‘You Are the Pisces’ is a little more of a break, and it settles into a groove,” drummer Kyle Davis said of the band’s latest EP, released last August. “It is more musical and less aggressive.”

The band should be releasing a new record soon.

“We have a complete record, and we are waiting on its release either late summer or early fall,” Tyler Davis said. “Then, back to the studio.”

Chrome Pony will be playing at Bonnaroo’s New Music on Tap Lounge on Sunday at 1 p.m.

This article was published in cooperation with the Seigenthaler News Service. To see the version of this article that ran in The Tennessean, click here.

To see our full archive of Bonnaroo coverage, click here.

For more updates, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter/Instagram at @Sidelines_Life.

To contact Lifestyles editor John Connor Coulston, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com