Who to See at Forecastle 2015: Day One

The Forecastle Festival begins today at Waterfront Park in Louisville, Kentucky. The festival gives music fans an eclectic mix of music, bourbon and Kentucky cuisine on the banks of the Ohio River. Artists including Sam Smith, My Morning Jacket and Widespread Panic will be taking the stage throughout the weekend. Here’s our recommendations for who to see on Day One:

JEFF the Brotherhood

When: Friday, 3:15 – 4:15 p.m.
Where: Boom Stage
Genre: Alternative Rock

JEFF the Brotherhood is one of the strongest rock acts to come out of Nashville, Tennessee in recent memory. Brothers Jake and Jamin Orrall are fresh off their latest release Wasted on a Dream, which featured the roaring, flute-driven single “Black Cherry Pie,” and put on one of heaviest, mosh-filled shows around. Be sure to check out our 2014 interview with the band for more info.

Cage the Elephant performs at Which Stage at the 2014 Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival on Saturday, June 14, 2014. (MTSU Sidelines/Matt Masters)

Cage the Elephant

When: 7:30 – 8:45 p.m.
Where: Mast Stage
Genre: Alternative Rock

Kentucky’s own Cage the Elephant are one of the country’s best touring acts, and can only be amplified as they return to their home state. They’ll surely play radio hits like “Ain’t No Rest for the Wicked” and “Cigarette Daydreams,” but we’re hoping for new material from their next release, which may be out by the end of the year. Regardless, their return to Forecastle will surely surpass their recent show at Beale Street Music Festival before the band heads down to Sloss Fest in Birmingham.

Big_KRIT_01_Window_0213-FINAL-copy-copy1-766x1024Big K.R.I.T.

When: Friday, 8:45 – 9:45 p.m.
Where: Ocean Stage
Genre: Hip-Hop

With a combination of thoughtful rhymes and soulful production, Mississippi’s Big K.R.I.T has proven he’s the best thing to come out of southern rap in the last five years. After building off the success of excellent mixtapes like Return of 4eva and K.R.I.T. Wuz Here, the producer/rapper signed to Def Jam and released the albums Live From the Underground and Cadillactica, the latter of which saw K.R.I.T. expanding his production pallet and upholding his high standards for lyricism. His Friday night set will surely keep the energy alive with songs like “Country S—,”  “Yeah Dat’s Me” and “Cadillactica.”

Photo_Nirvana-E_300CMYK-1aSam Smith

When: Friday, 9:45 – 11:00 p.m.
Where: Mast Stage
Genre: Pop/R&B

British pop superstar Sam Smith has been touring nonstop since sweeping the Grammys earlier this year. He’ll surely bust out material from his debut album In the Lonely Hour as well as his Disclosure collaboration “Latch.” If his performances from Bonnaroo 2014 and the Grande Ole Opry are any indicator of what he has in store for Forecastle,  he’ll more than surpass the expectations of being the first night headliner.

For our full archive of Forecastle coverage, click here.

Follow John Connor Coulston on Instagram at @JCCoulston.

For more Forecastle updates, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter/Instagram at @Sidelines_Life.

To contact Lifestyles editor John Connor Coulston, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com