Stockstill to Start, and Other Takeaways From Monday’s Football Presser

MURFREESBORO- In the season-opening press conference held Monday morning, head football coach Rick Stockstill announced that his son, Brent Stockstill, will start in the Blue Raiders’ first game against Jackson State on Saturday.

“(We’ve been) evaluating the quarterbacks in everything since last spring,” Coach Stockstill said when asked about the starting job. “We made the decision that we’re gonna start Brent…we felt Brent was more productive.”

The decision came after much speculation over whether junior Austin Grammer, who started every game for the Blue Raiders last year, would keep his position. Stockstill was said to be more effective over the course of camps, and over the course of practices, leading to the Redshirt Freshman getting the nod for Saturday.

Despite the decision, Stockstill spoke highly of Grammer after breaking the news saying, “It’s nothing that Austin didn’t do this, or Austin didn’t do that. When we reviewed the overall, we just felt that Brent (Stockstill) was more productive.”

When asked if Brent being his son made the decision to start the freshman more difficult, Stockstill responded:

“I’m going to put the best player out there that gives us the best opportunity to win. You can’t please everybody. Every decision I make is for the better for this team, and if anybody has any remote question of doubt about that they’re dead wrong.”

Stockstill also announced that true freshman Chandler Brewer would be getting the start on the offensive line, marking the first starter of his kind in years for the coach. Sidelines will be following Brewer next week as he gears up to play on the collegiate level.

The Blue Raiders face Jackson State Saturday at 6 p.m. at Floyd Stadium.

For more Blue Raiders sports, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @MTSUSidelines.

To contact sports editor Michael Ward email sports@mtsusidelines.com.

Previous Blue Raiders Struggle in Opening Tournament
Next MTSU Student Reports Rape at Campus Crossings