Two Spring Signees Dismissed From MTSU Men’s Basketball Program

The MTSU men's basketball team played an exhibition game against Martin Methodist on Nov. 10. Photo by Samantha Hearn.

MURFREESBORO- In a statement Monday afternoon it was announced that two Blue Raider off-season signings, Jalen Perry and Justin Coleman, were no longer with the team.

The school confirmed Monday that both players were dismissed last week, and speculation began on Friday as Perry reportedly was no longer with the team.

Men’s basketball head coach Kermit Davis spoke Monday, announcing that the two players were dismissed due to violations of athletic department policy.

“We wish both Jalen and Justin the best,” Davis remarked, speaking highly of the players. “They both come from great families.”

Jalen Perry has already decided on his next destination, signing with John A. Logan Junior College in Illinois. There is no word yet on where Justin Coleman is headed.

Coleman, a former standout at Blackman High School, transferred to MTSU from Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College after his freshman year.

Perry, a freshman, graduated from Ballard High School in Kentucky, where he averaged more than 21 points-per-game and more than 6 rebounds-per-game his senior year.

Perry and the Bruins finished 32-3 on the year, losing in the quarterfinals of the State Tournament. Perry was also a finalist for Kentucky’s Mr. Basketball.

On August 14th Senior DJ Jones, a transfer last season, was dismissed for violating team policy. The Perry and Coleman dismissals mark three in the past two weeks for the Blue Raiders.

Jones was electric at times for MTSU last season, coming in off the bench and providing spark late in games. Jones, as a Junior, averaged 4.6 points-per-game in 27 appearances for the Blue Raiders on the season.

For more Blue Raiders sports, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport.

Previous MTSU's Annual Convocation Welcomed New and Returning Students
Next MTSU Sigma Pi Chapter Suspended By National Organization Over 'Freshman Girls' Banner