Webb to Lead New Charge in Men’s Golf

It was announced Monday afternoon that Brennan Webb would be taking the reigns of MTSU’s men’s golf program. Webb was hired to take over for Whit Turnbow, the former head coach of eight years, who was promoted to Senior Associate Athletic Director for Strategic Initiatives and Resource Enhancement.

“The main attraction to coming to Middle Tennessee for me, first of all, was Whit,” Webb said in an interview with Sidelines. “To know that that was going to continue on and he was going to be a part of the Athletic Department here I knew I was going to have his support.”

Brennan Webb begins his first season as Head Coach for MTSU's men's golf team.

Brennan Webb begins his first season as Head Coach for MTSU’s men’s golf team.

Webb spent his collegiate days playing for East Tennessee State University in Johnson City, Tennessee, and was part of a No. 1 ranked team, and a top 3 finish nationally.

“Just coming back to the state of Tennessee, I love Tennessee, I loved every minute at ETSU,” Webb speaking highly of the atmosphere around golf in Tennessee. “The people of Murfreesboro reminded me of Johnson City, just tremendously nice people that I’ve met so far.”

After finishing his playing days, Webb turned to the coaching channel and was hired to the staff of USF under head Coach Chris Malloy (now at Ole Miss).  While at USF, Webb played a role in putting the Bulls on the map, and saw the program rise from their preseason rank of 191st to 51st overall.

From South Florida, Webb was hired as an assistant coach at Georgia Tech in 2012, and worked his way up to Associate Head Coach by 2014.

During his time at Tech, Webb was a part of two runs to the ACC Championship, and into the match play brackets of the NCAA tournament both years.

Even after leaving USF, Coach Webb spoke highly of Malloy for giving him the opportunity.

“For it to be Chris (Malloy), who has since moved on to Ole Miss, one of my best friends and a great guy,” Webb said at the start of the interview. “He was just someone who taught me so much about the profession. We were both very proud of what we were able to accomplish down there at USF, and he was a great mentor to me.”

At Georgia Tech, Webb saw first hand the juggernaught that the Yellow Jackets were, regarding them as one of the top recruiting schools in the country. In his two years there, Webb was able to coach both Ollie Schneiderjans and Anders Albertson, two high rated amateurs. Schneiderjans was the No. 1 ranked amateur in the world in 2014, and was a finalist for the Ben Hogan Award. Albertson won the Byron Nelson award in 2014, and finished a two-time ACC champion.

Webb takes over a program that experienced a myriad of success under Turnbow, and expressed his excitement to be able to lead the program going forward.

Webb spoke of how important building relationships with players is, especially as a new coach, and coming in at the point that he did.

“It’s a team sport, but at it’s core it’s an individual sport,” Webb said. “The best teams are ones that have five individuals playing their best.”

The 2015-2016 Men’s Golf season begins September 14-15, as Coach Webb and the Blue Raiders head to Hattiesburg, Mississippi to take part in the Sam Hall Intercollegiate.

For more Blue Raiders sports, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport.

To contact sports editor Michael Ward, email sports@mtsusidelines.com