5 Campus Spots New MTSU Students Should Check Out

Students hang out and enjoy the warm weather on Tuesday, March 24, 2015. (MTSU Sidelines/Samantha Hearn)

When you entered high school, it was hard enough to endure the freshman experience.  But being a freshman in college is a different ball game. You’re in classes with students of varied ages and backgrounds, you don’t know many people and you’re exposed to a new world of experiences and responsibilities. And to top it all off, most of the time, you won’t know where anything is.

Luckily, MTSU has a great campus with a large variety of things that everyone can do to feel more comfortable. Here are a few key locations to remember during your first semester:

1. Student Union Building

The interior of MTSU Student Union Building (STU). (MTSU Sidelines/Michael Patton)

One of the main hotspots on campus is the Student Union Building (STU). The STU is a place where you can go and either sit with friends and talk or work on homework. People are always at the STU, and it’s a great place to make some new friends. It houses the bookstore, game room, a computer lab, a theater and a food court that includes Popeyes, Panda Express, Dunkin Donuts and more. The STU is also the home to the Blue Raider Grill, a sit-down restaurant with burgers, sandwiches and other American-style dishes.

2. Keathley University Center

Speaking of food, another key location is the Keathley University Center (KUC). The second floor has several lunch options like Subway, Pizza Hut and Chick-Fil-a. If you can deal with the constant buzz of conversations, the KUC is a great place to go between classes for lunch. It’s also home to a post office, a theater, Brewed Awakenings (where you can get Starbucks coffee without the outrageously long lines) and the only place on campus that sells Coca-Cola products, Dwight’s Mini Mart.

The exterior of MTSU’s Campus Recreation Center. (MTSU Sidelines/Michael Patton)

3. Campus Recreation Center

Although most of the hotspots have food involved, there are other perks of MTSU’s campus. The Rec Center is available to students seven days a week. It offers fitness classes, two pools, an open gym, an indoor soccer field, weight rooms and even a rock climbing wall. And if you’re ever feeling a little under the weather, the campus health clinic is located on the right as you walk in.

4. Walnut Grove

One of the busiest places on campus is also one of the most peaceful. Walnut Grove is a shaded area by Peck Hall and several dorm halls. During football season, it’s filled with

students and members of the community for a tailgate before each home game. But on most days, it’s a quite tranquil place to study, nap or just sit around. Oh, and you can’t forget about the Blue Horseshoe. It’s made of 100 percent blue concrete and perfect for your #TrueBlue photos.

Students study and walk to class on Tuesday, March 24, 2015. The high temperature was 75 degrees. (MTSU Sidelines/Samantha Hearn)

5. The Quad

Last but not least, the Quad is the perfect place to be when it’s nice outside. Located between the library, the College of Media and Entertainment building and the College of Business, there’s a constant flux of students sitting around, playing music, reading and just enjoying themselves.

John Connor Coulston contributed to this story.

For more campus news, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter/Instagram at @Sidelines_Life.

To contact Lifestyles editor Rhiannon Gilbert, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com.

Previous Volleyball Heads to Logan for Utah Invitational
Next Greg Holden brings powerful songs to Nashville

1 Comment