Blue Raiders Weekend Recap: Volleyball struggles before bulk of conference play

Contributing Writer // Caleb Luketic

The Blue Raiders competed in multiple sports all over the country this past weekend.

Volleyball

The volleyball team traveled to Blacksburg, Virginia, to participate in the Hokie Invitational.

The team faced the host, Virginia Tech, to begin the tournament, but they were beaten in three straight sets 25-14, 25-21, and 25-16. Senior Chelsea Ross led the team with nine kills and seven digs, while Brianna Pannone led the team with 18 assists.

The Blue Raiders bounced back against the Liberty Flames with a sweep of their own, as Middle Tennessee won in straight sets 25-19, 25-16, and 25-17.

Middle Tennessee looked to come away from the Hokie Invitational with a winning record, but the team ran into the Chattanooga Mocs. The Blue Raiders won a close first set 25-22, but Chattanooga ran away with the final three sets 25-19, 25-14, and 27-25.

The Blue Raiders have fallen to 3-12 on the season, and the team continues conference play on September 25 at UTSA.

Soccer

The Blue Raiders soccer team traveled to Macon, Georgia, to take on the Mercer Bears.

Middle Tennessee was involved in their fifth, one goal game on Friday evening, and the Blue Raiders had won their previous four, one goal games before heading to Macon.

Mercer didn’t waste any time. The Bears scored about 90 seconds into the game, and the Blue Raiders weren’t able to find the back of the net on any of their 11 shots.

Middle Tennessee is now 4-3-1 on the season, and they come back to Murfreesboro to begin their conference play against Southern Miss.

Football

The Blue Raider football team hosted their first C-USA game of the season against the Charlotte 49ers. Charlotte was looked to advance to 3-0 for the second straight season, but the Blue Raiders welcomed the 49ers to Conference USA football, as they steamrolled the 49ers 73-14.

The Blue Raiders set a record for most points scored in a quarter, most points scored in a half and most total offensive yards in school history. The team scored 42 points in the first quarter, 49 points in the first half, and they totaled 695 yards.

In their two home games this season, the Blue Raiders have totaled 1,300 yards, and they’ve scored 143 points.

The Blue Raiders travel to Illinois to take on the Illinois next Saturday. The game will be on ESPNews at 3 p.m. ET.

For more Blue Raider sports, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport

To contact Sports Editor Michael Ward, email sports@mtsusidelines.com