The Constitution Day, September 17, is the anniversary of the day in 1787 when the United States Constitution was signed. Though the Bill of Rights was not ratified until 1791, Sidelines will be breaking down one of the first ten amendments each day between now and September 17.

The Amendment:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The Meaning:

The first amendment allows Americans the right to speak, write, petition, practice religion and assemble freely.

The Effect:

The first amendment is possibly the most distinctly freeing amendment in the American Constitution. Free speech, petition, press, assembly and religion give the American people an exceptionally unique freedom to express their opinions and ideas, up to and including those against the government. The freedom to protest your government is an exceptionally rare right that very few countries have as absolutely as Americans. It is with the first amendment that we are able to produce and consume whatever media we choose (so long as it doesn’t incite imminent danger), including this article. In other countries, journalists and protestors are imprisoned for having beliefs, true or not, that oppose the government. In America, however, we are free to express ourselves and our beliefs, which might be the greatest right provided by the Bill of Rights.

For more Constitution Countdown, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @MTSUSidelines.

To contact news editor Sarah Grace Taylor, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com.