Constitution Countdown: Second Amendment

Tenn. Secretary of State Tre Hargett speaks to MTSU students on Constitution Day. Photo by Andre Rowlett.

The Constitution Day, September 17, is the anniversary of the day in 1787 when the United States Constitution was signed. Though the Bill of Rights was not ratified until 1791, Sidelines will be breaking down one of the first ten amendments each day between now and September 17.

The Amendment:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

The Meaning:

The┬ásecond amendment provides citizens the right to a “well regulated” militia so that the government does not possess all of the weaponry, ensuring a free state.

The Effect:

Arguably the most disputed amendment in modern politics, the second amendment, rather vaguely, defines the citizens’ right to bear arms. The ambiguous perimeters of “well regulated,” have led to political battles over how restricted a citizen’s gun ownership can be. However, the second amendment does secure the freedom of gun ownership (however restricted) to American citizens, which maintains the possibility of a militia uprising among the people and offers a certain sense of security against the government.

For more Constitution Countdown, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @MTSUSidelines.

To contact news editor Sarah Grace Taylor, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com.

Previous MTSU hosts screening, panel of documentary 'The Hunting Ground'
Next MTSU heating and hot water shut down temporarily for repair