MTSU Football Prepares for Homecoming vs. Vanderbilt

By: David Chamberlain// Contributing Writer

After a tough loss against Illinois, the Blue Raider football team set their sights on another non-conference opponent, Vanderbilt. Coach Stockstill tried not to focus on the loss, but rather the challenge ahead of the team this week as the Commodores come to town.

“We’re looking forward to this challenge. It’s an opportunity to play an SEC team. I think Vanderbilt is a much improved team,” Coach Stockstill said. “It’s gonna be a heck of a challenge but we’re definitely looking forward to it.”

The buzz on campus for this game continues to brew and build as the game inches closer and Coach Stockstill expressed that he doesn’t expect any different. “I hope it’ll be electric. I hope our students come. I hope the people in this community come. There’s been a lot of talk about this game since it was announced. Again, I say it every week, but why wouldn’t you come watch this team play and I’m talking about our team.”

Defensive standout Kevin Byard stepped up to the podium next and discussed what the team needs to do to contain Vanderbilt’s offense. “First thing we have to do is stop the run. We have to make them one-dimensional, make the young quarterback beat us, and get off the field on 3rd down.”

Byard tried not to think about the disappointing result from Illinois, and look forward to homecoming. “This week’s a big game because it’s the next game.”

Closing out the presser, running back Jeremiah Bryson talked about the feeling of playing against Vanderbilt. “My Triple B youth team got to go to a MTSU-Vanderbilt game and MTSU won. At that time I never thought I’d have the opportunity to play against Vanderbilt.”

He even stated the emotion of the locker room going into this week. “We’re looking to get that taste out of our mouth. No team wants to lose and if you do lose, the next thing in your mind is to get to the next Saturday.”

MTSU hosts Vanderbilt on Saturday at Floyd Stadium. Kickoff is set for 6 p.m.

For more Blue Raider sports, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport