Paper Bird flies into Americana Fest with the aid of Hall of Famer Oates

Denver-based Paper Bird has been gaining more national attention lately with the rising popularity of Americana music, and the band is stoked to showcase its new music in front of their producer and Rock and Roll Hall of Famer John Oates at the 16th annual Americana Music Festival.

The band is set to perform at 9 p.m. Thursday at The Basement East.

The soulful, six-member group boasts a strong female vocal influence with multipart harmonizing and a variety of musical styles. The group recently was featured in The New York Times and was listed in Paste Magazine’s “Top 10 Colorado Bands to Watch.”

Since its spontaneous formation in Breckenridge, Colorado in 2007, Paper Bird has toured nationally while switching members several times. The current lineup includes drummer Mark Anderson and his sister Sarah Anderson on the trumpet, vocalist Carleigh Aikens, guitarist Paul DeHaven, keyboardist Genevieve Patterson, and Caleb Summeril on the bass, guitar and banjo. Each of the women sing.

Their music’s rock vibe, paired with a whimsical, free-spirited energy, has drawn Paper Bird an exceptional local following in Colorado.

“It’s one thing to have the recordings, but we’re looking forward to bringing that connection full circle, for people to see us live and fully connect to the recordings,” Aikens, Paper Bird’s newest member, said in a phone interview this week.

Paper Bird is anticipating Music City to be much more than just another tour stop.

“We love Nashville so much. I think we all kind of have dreams of relocating there and making it another hub apart from Colorado,” Aikens said. “We’re really excited about trying to find a home for the music and a label partnership, and we have a really strong desire and a good feeling about Nashville.”

A big contributor to Paper Bird’s quest for success is producer Oates, of the acclaimed Rock Hall of Fame rock-soul duo Hall and Oates, who has been working closely with the band since last spring. Oates, who has homes in Nashville and Colorado, has been a fixture in the local Americana scene in recent years.

“John’s been planning this showcase for awhile, and I think he’s really excited to just show all his friends what we’re all about,” Aikens said with a laugh. “It’s been like a dream come true getting to work with him, and getting to play in Nashville is like the icing on the cake.”

IF YOU GO

The 16th Annual Americana Music Festival continues through Sunday at various venues in downtown Nashville and beyond.

·       Festival Wristband (allows access to five nights of showcases): $60

·       TIckets can be purchased for individual showcases for $20-25

·       AmericanaFest featuring Loretta Lynn, Steve Earle, Gillian Welch, and many others: 4:45 p.m. Saturday at Ascend Amphitheater, $25-75.

For more information and a full schedule, visit americanamusic.org.

This article was published in cooperation with the Seigenthaler News Service.

Follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter/Instagram at @Sidelines_Life.

To contact Lifestyles editor Rhiannon Gilbert, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com.