Soccer Drops First of Season, Rebounds with Sunday Win

By: Keaven Burton// Contributing Writer

MURFREESBORO- The Middle Tennessee women’s soccer team spent the weekend in Baton Rouge, taking part in the LSU Tournament. The Blue Raiders fell Friday to a tough Big Ten team in Indiana, but rebounded on Sunday with their fourth shutout of the year, a 1-0 win over Ball State.

Middle Tennessee struggled offensively in the first half, finishing without a shot on goal in the first 45 minutes. The first half showing is unlike the Blue Raiders, who came in averaging 29 shots per game.Indiana found the back of the goal twice in the first half as Mya Piper scored in the 16th and Marissa Borschke added the second goal in the 38th minute. The two goals were the first allowed by Senior goalkeeper Kelsey Brouwer this season.

The Blue Raiders bounced back in their second game of the weekend with the win over Ball State.  The only goal of the game came off a Briana Jasenak’s header in the 70th minute off a corner kick by Tori Hawkins, the teams first assist of the season.

Kelsey Brouwer had another stellar performance on Sunday, recording her fourth shutout of the season in the 1-0 victory.

Middle Tennessee returns to Murfreesboro for a showdown with Lipscomb on Thursday. First kick is set for 7 p.m.

Previous Hometown hero Moon Taxi steals show at Live on the Green
Next MTSU Volleyball Leaves Utah Winless