MTSU Soccer Heads into Conference Weekend With Perfect Aim

The Blue Raider women's soccer team prepares for an early season matchup at Dean Hayes Stadium. (MTSU Sidelines/ Austin Lewis)

The Blue Raider women’s soccer team opened conference play last weekend after dropping two straight on the road. Hosting Southern Miss, and traveling to UAB, Middle Tennessee posted wins in their first two conference games, and sit at a 2-0 heading into this weekend’s games.

Middle Tennessee opened their C-USA schedule last Friday night at Dean Hayes Stadium, as they hosted Southern Miss. The 1-0 win was the Blue Raiders fourth home one-nil win of the season.

Grace Summers peppered the net early for the Blue Raiders with four shots, scoring the first and only goal of the game in the 13th minute. The goal was Summers’ second of the year and gave goalkeeper Kelsey Brouwer some breathing room, who shut out the Eagles for her fifth match of the season.

The Blue Raiders traveled to Birmingham to close out the weekend, taking on UAB on Sunday afternoon. The Blue Raiders dominated the Blazers in the game, controlling the tempo and finishing with more shots.

Goals from Emily Jorgensen and Angie Lai propelled the Blue Raiders to their second straight win, and second straight conference win.

This weekend, the Blue Raiders have another home-and-away conference slate. Friday, Middle takes on Old Dominion in Virginia and then travels back to Murfreesboro to take on Charlotte Sunday afternoon.

The key to the Blue Raiders this weekend will be getting shots on g0al, with goals being a premium this season for the team. The Blue Raiders haven’t scored more than two goals in a single game this year, and haven’t won by more than one goal in any games this season.

The Monarchs have been through the ringer of non-conference opponents, facing off against three straight ranked opponents in Auburn, William and Mary, and Virginia. Sitting at just 4-7, Old Dominion has had recent success, also opening conference play with two wins.

In the second of the two conference games, the 49ers sit at 5-5 on the season, and opened their conference play with a 3-2 win over UAB. Charlotte has hosted tough non-conference opponents, playing No. 16 South Carolina, South Florida, and East Carolina at home. Before facing the Blue Raiders on Sunday, Charlotte hosts Southern Miss Friday night in search of a 2-0 conference record.

It will be important for the Blue Raiders to put shots on net early this weekend, if they want to have success. Senior goalie Kelsey Brouwer has been fantastic in net this season, not allowing more than two goals in a game, and will be looking to keep on pace to break the shutout record she set last season.

The offense will be looking to sustain possession as they have done all season, and keep the pressure off the defense as they pursue another pair of conference wins.

For more Blue Raider sports, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport

Previous 'Dodge and Burn' by The Dead Weather | Album Review
Next Icona Pop set to perform at MTSU