‘The Matrimonial Momentum’ | recap of ‘The Big Bang Theory’ season 9 premiere

Sara Snoddy // Contributing Writer

The last season of The Big Bang Theory left viewers with arguably one of the biggest cliffhangers ever. On Monday night the season nine premiere, “The Matrimonial Momentum,” returned with on-point jokes and acting that set the stage for some intense—and tense—episodes to come.

After nearly a decade of being on-again-off-again, the finale left vertically challenged experimental physicist, Leonard Hofstadter (Johnny Galecki), and Hollywood-hopeful, Penny (Kaley Cuoco), eloping in Vegas after an extended engagement. But in a doomed car ride to the chapel, Leonard admits to kissing another woman during one of the couples many ‘on’ moments, leaving their pending nuptials just that.

However, ‘Lenny’ fans needn’t fear, because this mismatched couple gets hitched after all. Of course, only after Penny makes up some on-the-spot recitation of the “Toy Story” theme song, causing Leonard to burst into tears and making Penny look a lot better than the schmuck who didn’t write her own vows, which Leonard did, of course.

But the most shocking cliffhanger of the finale occurred when Amy Farrah Fowler (Mayim Bialik) put her five-year relationship with theoretical physicist Sheldon Cooper (Jim Parsons) on a temporary hold via Skype, after which Sheldon revealed that he was going to propose with his grandmother’s wedding ring. In the first thirty seconds of “Matrimonial Momentum,” Sheldon immediately calls Leonard, his best friend and roommate, telling him not to marry Penny, as he now considers women evil.

It’s no secret that Parsons has always carried the success of Big Bang on his shoulders, and his contribution to the premiere is, as usual, the most hilarious. In un-Sheldonlike behavior, the physicist flips his wig and borderline stalks Amy, unable to let the relationship go, letting us see an entirely new side of him.

Last season also left astrophysicist Raj Koothrappali (Kunal Nayyar) having coitus in a graveyard with his girlfriend Emily Sweeney (Laura Spencer) after trying to break up with her. Meanwhile, aerospace engineer Howard Wolowitz (Simon Helberg) and microbiologist Bernadette Rostenkowski-Wolowitz (Melissa Rauch) celebrated Stuart Bloom’s (Kevin Sussman) birthday after unsuccessfully removing the former comic-book storeowner from Howard’s mother’s home, bequeathed to him after her sudden death earlier in the season. Disappointingly enough, “Matrimonial Momentum” only focuses on the two main relationships rather than providing a more well-rounded atmosphere. Raj, Howard, and Bernadette have never seemed more like supporting characters.

The episode comes to a head when Sheldon shows up to Howard’s house to watch his friend’s wedding on live stream, after no one had invited him, and his refusal for his and Amy’s relationship to stay in a state of flux has Amy angrily ending things. “The Matrimonial Momentum” leaves everything turned upside-down with Leonard and Penny getting into a huge fight after saying “I Do’s,” when Penny finds out that Leonard still works with the woman he cheated with. With the amount of unresolved issues in their relationship, it should be interesting to see where the two go from here now that they are legally man and wife.

The season nine premiere saw Big Bang in it’s finest, with Chuck Lorre’s clever writing and the actors perfect comedic timing providing a laughter-filled thirty minutes. If the promo for next week’s “The Separation Oscillation” is anything to judge by, this season is shaping up to be one of the wittiest and most exciting yet.

The Big Bang Theory airs Monday nights on CBS at 8/7c.

For more TV show recaps, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter/Instagram at @Sidelines_Life.

To contact Lifestyles editor Rhiannon Gilbert email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com