Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Blue Raider Soccer Ends C-USA Weekend Winless

By: David Chamberlain//Contributing Writer

Middle Tennessee (8-5-2) had a tough and competitive weekend battling against two of the top teams in the C-USA standings. Their first match-up came from North Texas (13-2-1), the top team in the standings that has a high scoring offense and averages nearly three goals per game.

The Eagles proved that by scoring two goals in the first half, the first coming in the fourteenth minute by Molly Grisham. The next came only fifteen minutes later by Rachel Holden and the Raiders found themselves in a quick hole, down 2-0.

They tried to dig themselves out right before the half, cutting the lead to 2-1. However, they couldn’t keep the momentum going and failed to overcome the deficit. North Texas took the victory and extended their conference lead with a record of 13-2-1.

The next game came against Rice University (9-5-2), as the Blue Raider defense stood strong and was impenetrable. Rice took 26 shots, 13 of which on goal. GK Kelsey Brouwer saved all 13 shots on goal and prevented a second loss on the weekend. The Blue Raider offense could never get in rhythm and only had four shots on goal.

Neither offense found their stride Sunday, despite amassing a combined 39 shots-on-goal. Sundays’ contest ended in a 0-0 draw, the second draw of the season for both teams.

The Blue Raiders are hoping to finish the season strong with two more conference wins and ultimately fight for a spot in the C-USA championship. They will be at home for their next matchup against Louisiana Tech on October 25.

For more Blue Raider sports, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport