Match Records’ MTSU Beat Battle 2015 approaches

Jessica Williams // Contributing writer

Have you ever seen a group of producers go head-to-head in an elimination showcasing the hardest, coolest, most head-rocking beats MTSU students have to offer? Match Records, a record label based at MTSU, is gearing up for its annual Beat Battle. On Nov. 5, eight contestants will compete for a prize in front of a panel of well-known industry vets.

The event gives students an opportunity to show off their beat-making skills in a one-on-one competition. In each round, two contestants will take the stage and show their skills in front of the judges.

Competitors will be eliminated until two battlers are left standing. The final two will battle for a trophy – not to mention bragging rights.

Tevin Rutledge, a junior majoring in Advertising, attended last year’s beat battle.

“I liked the concept of it,” Rutledge said. “I liked the fact that we got to actually see them compete with beats – that was really cool.”

Dominique Macon, a junior majoring in Organizational Communication, also attended last year and has high hopes for this year’s battle.

“I would definitely like to see the beat makers have the ability to do different types of beats instead of just hip-hop,” Macon said. “Make it more competitive.”

It seems Match Records took this into consideration as well.

“We did do submissions for the previous competitions, but for this one we’re having all of the contestants submit the same song,” said Match Records publicist Sierra Johnson. “It’s a song called ‘Grooveallegiance’ by Funkadelic; it’s an old-school song. So pretty much they are using that as a sample to recreate it, be creative and put their own twist to it.”

This gives students the chance to make the beat into whatever they want, whether it’s hip-hop, dubstep or any other genre.

The last day to apply for the beat battle is Oct. 15. For more information and/or to send submissions, email submissions@matchrecordsmusic.com.

The battle kicks off Nov. 5 in room 221 of the LRC at 7 p.m. Admission is free, and you never know – you could be the first to witness the next big producer.

For more music news, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter/Instagram at @Sidelines_Life.

To contact Lifestyles editor Rhiannon Gilbert email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com.