Fantasy Football Week 9: Start ‘Ems Sit ‘Ems

Start ‘Em

QB – Phillip Rivers – San Diego Chargers

The San Diego Chargers are taking on the Chicago Bears in San Diego this Monday night, and this looks to be an extremely favorable matchup for Phillip Rivers, who is the second ranked quarterback in a standard scoring ESPN league. Rivers is without favorite target Keenen Allen for the year, but he still has Antonio Gates, Malcom Floyd, and Stevie Johnson to throw to. Expect more high-percentage, short throws from Rivers to his wide receivers against the 26th ranked secondary of Chicago.

RB – DeMarco Murray – Philadelphia Eagles

The Philadelphia Eagles seem to be finding themselves midway through the 2015 season. Coming off of their bye, Philadelphia travels to Jerry World to take on the Dallas Cowboys. Murray is going to run against the 28th ranked defense, which is going to provide a great match-up for the whole Eagles running back core. Murray is averaging 9.7 fantasy points per game, but I look for him to score at least 15 points against the banged up Cowboys front seven.

WR – Malcom Floyd – San Diego Chargers

The San Diego Chargers lost their top wide receiver this week in Keenan Allen, which has boosted Floyd’s fantasy value immensely. Phillip Rivers is playing out of his mind thus far, and Floyd is going to be the benefactor of Rivers’ major success. Floyd is going to get a lot of short, high-percentage passes, and he will be forced to rack up yards after the catch, which is never a bad thing for an athletic specimen like Floyd. Floyd is a must start from here on out in 2015.

TE – Heath Miller – Pittsburgh Steelers

The Pittsburgh Steelers just lost one of the most vital pieces of their offense for the season in Le’Veon Bell. Bell went out early on Sunday, after he suffered a torn MCL. The Steelers just got quarterback Ben Roethlisberger back this past Sunday, which boosts all Ben’s targets in the fantasy world. Miller is a short-yardage threat that Ben loves to go to in 2nd or 3rd and short situations and in the redzone. Miller is going up against the Raiders, who give up the most fantasy points to tight ends. Miller should be able to rack up yards, and I think he will find the end zone this week.

D/ST – Philadelphia Eagles

The Philadelphia Eagles are taking on the Dallas Cowboys who are riddled with injuries on the offensive side of the ball. Quarterback Tony Romo returned to practice this week, but he isn’t cleared to play until Week 11, which means Matt Cassel will be starting in place of Romo. The Eagles are the sixth ranked fantasy defense thus far in 2015, and they look to increase that ranking this week. I look for Philly to have at least two turnovers and multiple sacks agasint the Cowboys in Week 9.

Sit ‘Em

QB – Andrew Luck – Indianapolis Colts

The Indianapolis Colts have struggled thus far in 2015, and their struggles look to continue as they take on the Denver Broncos, the top ranked defense. Luck has struggled immensely to find success in the Colts offense, but he could seemingly have more issues than usual, as the Colts fired their Offensive Coordinator this past week. I would go away from Luck this week, and look to snag a guy like Derek Carr or Ryan Fitzpatrick of off the waiver wire.

RB – T.J. Yeldon – Jacksonville Jaguars

The Jacksonville Jaguars are taking on a surprising Jets team that is 2nd in the AFC East. The Jets rank second in fantasy points allowed to running backs, which looks to be a difficult matchup for Yeldon and the Jags. Yeldon has shown signs of being a top fantasy back, but the Jets defense has been incredibly stingy against running backs thus far in 2015. Yeldon is not to a “must start” level yet in the fantasy world, so I would place him on the bench for Week 9.

WR – T.Y. Hilton – Indianapolis Colts

Hilton and the Colts are taking on the top overall defense in the Denver Broncos on Sunday. Hilton had only one reception on Sunday on seven targets, his lowest in both categories all season long. With Luck not being 100%, Hilton needs to ride the bench for the next couple Sundays until the Colts prove they can move and score the ball.

TE – Gary Barnidge – Cleveland Browns

The Cleveland Browns are going to be without quarterback Josh McCown on Thursday evening, so Johnny Manziel will take over under center against the Bengals. Manziel is nothing past a backup quarterback in the NFL, which diminishes Barnidge’s fantasy value immensely. Barnidge has been a fantasy monster the past six weeks, but it is time to let him ride the bench in Week 9.

D/ST – Green Bay Packers

The Green Bay Packers struggled on Sunday Night Football in Week 8 against the Denver Broncos on both sides of the ball. Their defensive task doesn’t get any easier against Cam Newton and the undefeated Panthers. Newton has been tearing it up on the football field. He may not be a fantasy stud week in and week out, but he burns defenses with his arm and his legs. I look for the Panthers to put up 300 plus yards and score 20 or more points against the Packers defense, so keep an eye out for another defense in free agency.

For more Blue Raider sports, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport.

To contact Interim Sports Editor Connor Ulrey, email sportseditor@mtsusidelines.com.