Ken Whisenhunt Out as Titans Head Coach

Photo by: Associated Press/Donn Jones

In a statement Tuesday morning, the Titans organization announced it would be parting ways with head coach Ken Whisenhunt. Whisenhunt was just 3-20 as head coach, just halfway through his second season with the team. The decision to let the coach go was made after the Titans lost their sixth straight game Sunday.

“After thoughtful consideration, the decision has been made to relieve Ken Whisenhunt of his head coaching duties,” said Titans controlling owner Amy Adams Strunk. “We have expected more progress on the field, and I felt it was time to move in a different direction. I would like to thank Ken for his efforts with our team, as he worked very hard to try to move us forward.”

Mike Mularkey, assistant coach and tight-ends coach under Whisenhunt, will take over as interim coach. Mularkey was the head coach of the Buffalo Bills for two seasons from 2004-05, and coached the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2012. Mularkey has over 20 years of coaching experience, a big factor in being named interim for the time being.

Whisenhunt’s firing was in large part to offensive inconsistency with the 31st ranked offense overall, according to the statement. Home field, a place where a team is expected to at least perform well, the Titans did not. The Titans were 1-11 in home games and 0-4 this season during his tenure.

The Titans face the Saints this Sunday in New Orleans.

For more Blue Raider sports, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport.

To contact Interim Sports Editor Connor Ulrey, email sportseditor@mtsusidelines.com.

Previous 'Burnt' goes up in flames | Film Review
Next Fantasy Football Waiver Wire Pickups: Week 9