Middle Tennessee Prepped for Armed Forces Game

Photo provided by: MT Athletics

This Saturday is the 34th annual Salute to Armed Forces celebration at Middle Tennessee, as the football team takes on Marshall. Here’s just some of the events that are set for Saturday’s contest between the Blue Raiders and Thundering Herd.

Timeline of Events
8:00 AM: Ticket Office Opens
10:30 AM: Veterans’ Memorial Service
11:30 AM: Pregame Picnic
11:30 AM: Raider Town Opens
Noon: Silent Auction to Benefit BRAVO
Noon: Beer Garden at Gate 3 Opens
12:15 PM: Raider Walk
1:00 PM: Dr. Joe Nunley Award
2:35 PM: Kickoff

Veterans’ Memorial Service 
The day begins with a veteran’s memorial service at the MTSU Veterans Memorial (in front of the Tom Jackson Building).

Pregame Picnic 
Following the memorial service, a complimentary picnic will be held for veterans and active service families on the lawn of the Rose and Emmett Kennon Hall of Fame Building. Tickets to the game will be provided at the picnic to veterans, service members and their families courtesy of State Farm and Pepsi.

Static Displays
There will be a number of displays around Floyd Stadium of various military equipment such as an FMTV, M-142, M-109 Howitzer, an infantry fighting vehicle, and a couple of Humvee’s. Fans are encouraged to take photos.

Coin Toss 
A member of the Wounded Warrior Project will be part of the coin toss.

Presentation of the Joe Nunley Award 
The Joe Nunley Award will be presented in a ceremony at the Kennon Hall of Fame. Joe Nunley Sr. was a U.S. Army World War II veteran who was an MTSU education professor starting in 1961 and retired as alumni director at the university in 1987. The senior Nunley died in 1993.

Halftime Salute 
At halftime of the game, the Band of Blue conducts a special patriotic salute as veterans march across Horace Jones Field with other members of their service branches.

Silent Auction for BRAVO 
Each year Middle Tennessee offers a silent auction that benefits an organization with this year’s campaign benefiting the Blue Raider American Veterans Organization (BRAVO). 100% of the profits go to BRAVO.

Quarter Celebration
At each quarter, a branch of the military will be honored. Here is the rundown:
1st Q: Amry
2nd Q: Marines
Halftime: Navy
3rd Q: Air Force
4th Q: Coast Guard

Toys for Tots 
Middle Tennessee is excited to announce that it will once again team with Toys for Tots for the Middle Tennessee vs Marshall game. At each gate, a Toys for Tots cart will be available for new or gently used toy donations.

Canned Food Drive
The first day of the Conference USA Canned Food Drive will get underway Saturday.

For more Blue Raider sports, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport.

To contact Interim Sports Editor Connor Ulrey, email sportseditor@mtsusidelines.com.