Peck Fired as Middle Tennessee Volleyball Coach

In a statement Monday morning it was announced that Middle Tennessee head volleyball coach Matt Peck would no longer be with the team. Peck, in his 12th season with the team, posted a 208-241 record as the head coach, and this season the team sits at 8-19 with three regular season games left on the schedule.

“After an extensive review of the volleyball program and declining results the past four seasons we felt a change in direction was needed,” MTSU Athletic Director Chris Massaro said in a statement Monday. “We want to thank Matt for some of the success he has provided our program over the years and wish him the very best in his future endeavors.”

In response, Peck said the following on his personal Facebook page:

MTSUSidelines_Sports_VB_MattPeck3

Peck also responded to the comments of Massaro on his page as well:

MTSUSidelines_Sports_VB_MattPeck_2

Diane Turnham, the associate athletic director and former women’s volleyball coach, will serve as the interim coach until a new coach has been hired. Turnham has been the head coach at Middle Tennessee twice, from 1982-1987 and again from 1992-1994. A national coaching search will begin immediately.

For more Blue Raider sports, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport.

To contact Interim Sports Editor Connor Ulrey, email sportseditor@mtsusidelines.com.

Previous Blue Raider Volleyball Posts best Conference Weekend
Next Four cotton swabs and 40 seconds: how an MTSU student lost his father to a treatable disease

1 Comment

1. Shaina
    November 18, 2015
    Reply

Well, it always sucks when someone loses their job. Truth be told, I think this has been in the works for a long time. Athletes talk; especially about their coaches and team. I know last year some of the volleyball team players complained about the coaches. I was even told that they went above him to tell their complaints to hirer powers in the staff. So I honestly think he had it coming. I was also told that some athletes even transferred to other schools because they did not like the coaching staff. They dreaded playing for Middle Tennessee State University. When athletes despise the school they play for you can not expect to have a successful program. Just like in a career, if you enjoy what you do you will do it well, the same rules apply to sports. Student-athletes go beyond typical student measures. They are usually expected to study more, train more, and perform well in both the class room and in their sport. So when you have athletes that do not enjoy the team they play for it usually causes further problems. In no way am I say that Coach Peck was fired because his athletes (or lets say some of his athletes) did not care for him and complained about him, but it could have very well played a part in it.