Report: Blue Raiders Headed to Bahamas Bowl

According to ESPN’s Brett McMurphy, Middle Tennessee (6-5, 5-2 C-USA) will be heading to the Bahamas Bowl this postseason. The bowl, sponsored by Popeyes, is December 24th in Nassau.

“Middle Tennessee will play in Bahamas Bowl, sources told @ESPN,” said McMurphy this morning. “Middle Tennessee will play a team from the MAC, still TBA, on Dec. 24.”

Athletic Director Chris Massaro confirmed to the Daily News Journal yesterday that the Blue Raiders would indeed go bowling this season, but did not mention where they might end up. According to Massaro, nothing is official yet.

The Blue Raiders finished last season 6-6, yet didn’t receive a bowl bid, and heading into the final week of the season seem to have a postseason bid wrapped up with one last game at UTSA. It isn’t likely that the team will receive an official bid until after this weekends game, or late in the week at the earliest.

Middle Tennessee President Sidney McPhee hails from the island nation, giving reason to another factor in to their possible selection there.

The bid this season would be the fourth since 2009, and the second in three years, with the Blue Raiders losing in the Armed Forces bowl in 2013. The Bahamas Bowl would be played against a team from the MAC (Mid-American Conference), a conference known to provide tough opponents. Western Kentucky defeated Central Michigan in last year’s inaugural Bahamas Bowl 49-48 to claim their first bowl win in program history.

Middle Tennessee takes on UTSA to close out the regular season on Saturday. Kickoff is set for 1:30 p.m.

For more Blue Raider sports, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport.

To contact Interim Sports Editor Connor Ulrey, email sportseditor@mtsusidelines.com.

Previous ‘The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 2’ brings fiery series to a simmer| Film Review
Next Murfreesboro's Salvation Army to serve Thanksgiving dinner