Tenn. House Republican Caucus Chairman says National Guard should “round up” and deport Syrians

AP NEWs
AP NEWS

The Tennessean//Associated Press

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — A top Republican in the Tennessee Legislature wants the National Guard to round up Syrian refugees who have settled in the state and stop any others who might enter.

House Republican Caucus Chairman Glen Casada of Franklin tells The Tennessean (http://tnne.ws/1HXp3HJ ) that he wants the refugees taken to federal Immigration and Customs Enforcement centers, where officials should be told, “They’re not coming to Tennessee, they’re yours.”

Several GOP presidential candidates, governors and elected officials have issued calls to delay or stop accepting Syrian refugees in the wake of the Paris attacks.

The Tennessee Office for Refugees says 30 of the 1,601 refugees who settled in the state during fiscal 2015 came from Syria.

The federal government controls resettlement programs. States have no authority to bar refugees from moving to their jurisdictions.

For more community news, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @MTSUSidelines.

To contact news editor Sarah Grace Taylor, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com.

Previous Murfreesboro turns out for 'Star Wars: Battlefront' release
Next Aziz Ansari's 'Master of None' brings home key points of young adulthood, 'Mastering' authentic comedy