Dan Ahiers hired as MTSU volleyball coach

Photo courtesy of MT Athletics 

Middle Tennessee has hired Dan Ahiers as the 10th volleyball coach in school history, replacing Matt Peck.

Ahiers was brought in from Carson-Newman University, where he led the Eagles to a 56-15 mark over his two seasons at the helm. He was the fastest to 50 wins in Eagles’ history.

“I am very excited for this opportunity,” Ahiers said in a release. “I see no reason why we can’t compete right away and be one of the top four teams in the conference. I want to compete at a high level and I know Middle Tennessee has the resources for us to do so.”

Ahiers spent 2013 as an assistant at Seattle University, who finished with a 9-7 record in the Western Athletic Conference. Before he was with Seattle U, Ahiers spent three years coaching at the University of California Santa Barbara, learning under Kathy Gregory, who amassed the fifth-most wins in Division I history during her 38 years as the university’s women’s volleyball coach.

“It was a very involved process and Dan’s name quickly rose to the top,” Director of Athletics Chris Massoro said in the release. “His record at Carson-Newman speaks for itself and he spent three years working under legendary coach Kathy Gregory at UCSB. During multiple interviews it was evident his personality and relentless drive would be a perfect fit for our volleyball program. I asked our team what characteristics they wanted in the next coach and Dan hits every quality to a tee. We are extremely excited about him joining the Blue Raider family.”

For more sports features, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport.

To contact Sports Editor Connor Ulrey, email sports@mtsusidelines.com.