Kermit Davis earns 400th win in Blue Raider victory over Old Dominion

Kermit Davis MTSU Basketball
Head Coach Kermit Davis (center) applauds his team on Saturday, Jan. 24, 2015 as they took down Charlotte, 72-69 in another home victory at Murphy Center in Murfreesboro, Tenn. (Greg French/MTSU Sidelines)

Photo by Gregory French // Sidelines Archive

Middle Tennessee (12-5, 4-1 C-USA) took on Old Dominion (9-9, 2-3 C-USA) Saturday afternoon. Ed Simpson Jr. was the difference maker in the second half, securing a 64-61 victory for the Blue Raiders and the 400th career win for Head Coach Kermit Davis.

Old Dominion showed last season why they’re one of the better programs in Conference USA, but Middle Tennessee shut down the Monarchs for the better part of Saturday’s game. The Blue Raiders held Old Dominion to just 40.4 percent shooting from the field, and just 18.8 percent from three-point range.

Darnell Harris continued his strong performances of late, finishing with 19 points and six boards.The Blue Raiders shot 47.1 percent from the field Saturday but made shots when they mattered to secure their fourth conference win.

Simpson was huge for Middle Tennessee in the win, hitting a key fast break three that tied the game at 45. Simpson would sink his third three of the game to put the Blue Raiders up 50-46 near the halfway mark of the second half.

Free throws were big for the Blue Raiders to seal the win, after having a 60-54 lead late in the game. The team would need the four freebies they had late in the second half, to hold off the surge from a tough Monarchs team.

Middle Tennessee returns to the Murphy Center to take on North Texas on Thursday, Jan. 21. Tipoff is slated for 6:30 p.m.

Follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport.

To contact Sports Editor Connor Ulrey, email sports@mtsusidelines.com.

Previous Harlem Globetrotters put on a show in 90th Anniversary Celebration
Next ‘American Horror Story: Hotel’ closes its doors | Finale Recap