Second Lady Jill Biden visiting Nashville Wednesday

Photo by Gregory French // Sidelines Archive

Jill Biden, the wife of Vice President Joe Biden, will visit McGavock High School in Nashville on Wednesday, according to the White House.

The Second Lady will be joined by Tennessee Governor Bill Haslam, Nashville Mayor Megan Barry and U.S. Under Secretary of Education Ted Mitchell, among others, as she tours the CMT Academy of Digital Design & Communication. She’ll also meet with students enrolled in dual-enrollment courses and the Tennessee Promise scholarship program, which allows students to attend two years of community college or technical school tuition-free.

Afterwards, Biden, who is also a community college professor in Virginia, will meet with the College Promise National Advisory Board, which she chairs.

The visit is in relation to a new U.S. Department of Education initiative that allows high school students with low income backgrounds to access Federal Pell Grants to help cover the costs of dual-enrollment courses, which allow students to receive college credit while still in high school.

The CMT Academy of Digital Design & Communication is a program that gives students a look a variety of careers and hands of presentations from engineers, designers and more. According to Viacom, McGavock has graduation rates rise 10 percent, ACT scores rise three percent and math score improvements since the program began in 2010.

This will be Biden’s second trip to Tennessee in just over a year. She visited Knoxville, Tennessee last January to help promote President Barack Obama’s “America’s College Promise,” with would implement a program similar to the Tennessee Promise nationwide.

Follow John Connor Coulston on Twitter at @JCCoulston.

To contact News Editor Amanda Freuler, email newseditor@mtsusidelines.com