Blue Raiders softball wins four-straight to close out tournament

The Lady Raiders traveled to Montgomery, Alabama to battle in the Black & Gold Tournament. They had a successful weekend road trip against Nicholls State, UMBC, and Alabama State. The Blue Raiders left the tournament with a 4-game win streak to close out the weekend.

Nicholls State (2.19.16)

The Blue Raiders fell behind early in the second inning after suffering a three-run homer by Haley Stevenson. The Blue Raiders struggled to get in a rhythm offensively. One of their only two hits came in the bottom of the fourth inning by a Carlie Jenkins triple down the right field line, bringing in two runs, trimming the Colonels lead 3-2.

An Alexis Huss single for the Colonels sent in another run at the top of the sixth. The dagger came by another homerun from Nicholls State with ushered three more runs and ultimately sinking the Blue Raiders 7-2.

UMBC (2.19.16)

The Blue Raiders managed to pull out their first win of the weekend against the UMBC Retrievers. The Blue Raiders caught fire in the opening inning by jumping out to a 6-0 lead.

Kirstyn Cuccia connected with two hits, which brought in two of MTSU’s six runs. The Retrievers scored off an error and a solo home run in the bottom of the third to cut the Blue Raiders lead in half. Two more hits from the Blue Raiders by Morgan Harris capped off the Blue Raiders 8-4 victory.

UMBC (2.20.16)

For the second game against the Retrievers, the Blue Raiders were able to force extra innings to come out on top 5-4.

The Blue Raiders were on the board first in the bottom of the second. However, the Retrievers responded with a massive inning in the top of the third. The Retrievers surged into the lead 4-1.

The Blue Raiders were able to rally and tie the game in the fifth inning with hits from Kirstyn Cuccia, Morgan Harris, and Megan Griffith. The Blue Raiders pushed it to eight innings and a Danielle Munoz fly ball to right field brought in the game winning run, 5-4.

Alabama State (2.20.16)

The Blue Raiders dominated Alabama State by way of the mercy rule to win their third straight for the weekend.

The Blue Raiders didn’t come out hot but gained momentum quickly in the third. Kirstyn Cuccia scored the first run and brought home two more with a double to right center. Austyn Whaley cranked one over the fence in the fifth to extend the Blue Raiders lead, 6-0.

The Blue Raiders put the game away in the sixth by way of three hits, which resulted in three more runs and took the victory once more, 9-0.

Nicholls State (2.21.16)

The Blue Raiders delivered revenge to the Colonels in their second matchup. The Blue Raiders picked up where they left off following the previous three games. Within the first two innings, MTSU was leading by five runs.

The Colonels scored in the bottom of the fourth by a way of an Alexis Huss run but did not do damage to the Blue Raiders lead. Danielle Munoz sent one over left field and put the game to rest, clinching the Blue Raiders fourth win of the weekend, 7-1.

The Blue Raiders will hope to continue the momentum they gained in the Central Arkansas Tournament next weekend. The Blue Raiders will take on South Dakota State, UAPB, ULM, and Central Arkansas.