Grammys to recognize MTSU alumni

The 58th Annual Grammy Awards will honor several MTSU alumni by nominating them for their accomplishments in Los Angeles on Monday.

Leading the pack of nominees is songwriter and producer Luke Laird, a 2001 graduate of the Department of Recording Industry. Laird is no stranger to the fame: He has written 20 No. 1 Billboard songs, and, in 2014, he won a Grammy for producing country singer Kasey Musgraves’ album Same Trailer, Different Park. This year, Laird is up for Best Country Song for “Diamond Rings and Old Barstools,” performed by Tim McGraw, and Best Country Album for Musgraves’ album Pageant Material.

“Luke’s professional success and deep devotion to MTSU makes him a stellar example of the hard work and spirit we strive to instill in all of our students,” President Sydney A. McPhee said of Laird’s accomplishments. “We are proud of him.”

Laird won’t be alone at the Grammys, though. Also being nominated is former MTSU quarterback Sam Hunt for Best Country Album, Montevallo, and Best New Artist. Eric Paslay, a 2005 Bachelor of Science graduate, is up for Best Country Duo/Group Performance for “The Driver,” along with Charles Kelley and Dierks Bentley.

MTSU also joined a pre-Grammys tribute to recently deceased Eagles member Glenn Frey on Saturday and is one of the sponsors of an alumni reunion in Los Angeles.

The Grammys air at 7 p.m on CBS, and the full list of nominees and performances can be found here.

Follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter/Instagram at @Sidelines_Life.

To contact Lifestyles editor Tanner Dedmon, email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com.

2 COMMENTS

1. As a Recording Industry Major here at MTSU, I love seeing articles like these. Our program here is so impressive and much more than people like to assume. Yes, it is really hard at making it in the Music Industry and the odds seem to be against us when trying to make a realistic career out of it. However, as someone who is a fan of Luke Lairds songs (Kacey Musgraves), I think it’s wonderful and it also helps to put our program and MTSU on the map. Being a rivalry school (with our RIM programs) with Belmont makes it difficult for us to receive a ton of recognition. The Grammy’s recognizing the outstanding talent and hard work that is at MTSU is very impressive and upliftng.

2. People such as Luke Laird, Sum Hunt and Eric Paslay are a huge inspiration for not only myself but also all MTSU students who aspire to go far in the music industry. Being a part of the Recording Industry program here at MTSU can be a very intimidating experience if you just take a second to look around you at the other students just in your classes. The talent that is overflowing from the people in the Mass Communication building alone is immeasurable. From teachers and faculty who all have had amazing careers in the industry that we could all strive to have to the students who are already doing amazing things in the industry while still in school it is hard not to be discouraged by comparing yourself to others. But people like these talented Grammy winners and nominees are an example that with a lot of hard work and dedication anything is possible. To see alumni going far in the industry and really making a difference makes me believe that I can do the same someday. Who knows maybe someday they will be writing about me on Sidelines and my accomplishments.