MTSU pop punk outfit The Verge discuss new EP, upcoming shows

Story by Jordan Trice // Contributing Writer

The Verge is a local punk band consisting of four MTSU students and a mutual friend. Guitarist Nick Lampers, a Cincinnati, Ohio, native, moved to Murfreesboro in October 2014 and started the group soon after.

However, Lampers, who met bassist Jake Lunn through Craigslist, says he faced a couple of hardships when first establishing the Verge. They soon discovered the band’s two newest members, drummer Joseph West and vocalist Mary Clarke, on a Facebook page for new artists in the area looking to join a band.

“The name ‘the Verge’ came to be because it’s a word that’s been with me throughout my life,” Lunn said. “The band is always on the verge of something, whether it be an album, a new song, or a show, we’re always on the verge.”

The style of the Verge can be considered alternative punk, however, the band originally began within the metalcore genre. The lyrical content and unique sound of their catalog is what sets them apart from the rest of new up-and-coming bands. The Verge touches base on life struggles, relationship issues and personal conflicts and how they have overcame and persevered their past problems.

“We won’t be releasing any singles, it’s just all going to be one big EP release” said Lampers, a member of Omega Delta Psi, about the band’s upcoming project.

There are a wide variety of artists who inspire The Verge as both a whole and as individual members. While each artist pulls on certain influences, they collectively acknowledge Paramore as an influence on their alternative sound and lyrical content.

“The Beatles inspired me to pick up a guitar,” Lampers said, “but Paramore inspired me to start a band.”

Vocalist Mary Clarke Carter says she had never been in a band prior to The Verge, and it was considerably challenging to  sing in front of audiences.

“I definitely believe that just getting started is the hardest part,” said guitarist Bobby Newman. “It’s like living a double life.”

Aside from their EP, The Verge also has a few shows booked in the area. They’ll be performing at The Block, located at 123 SE Broad St, this Friday with RHiNER, The Daily Howl and Natural Forces for free.

Be on the look out for their EP to be released this spring, as well as upcoming performances in the area. Keep up with The Verge on Facebook and follow them on Instagram at @theverge_tn.

For more events and updates, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter/Instagram at @Sidelines_Life.

To contact Lifestyles editor Tanner Dedmon email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com.