Scott shines in Nashville, Pacific win All-Star Game

Photo provided by NHL Network

The NHL All-Star weekend in Nashville came to an end Sunday with John Scott earning the title of All-Star Game MVP. Scott, a lifetime loyal player and a famous tough guy, was chosen by the fans to represent the Arizona Coyotes this past weekend. Scott was traded to the Canadiens last week, and, being who he is, the NHL tried to block him from participating.

After thousands of people spoke out about how Scott should be the captain for the Pacific, the NHL finally gave in and he took the ice. He scored two goals in the new All-Star game tournament and lead the Pacific Division to a championship win and a $1 million team bonus.

Nashville hosted the weekend festivities for the first time and, for most, it was a success.

The weekend’s NHL activities kicked off Saturday with the Skills Competition. Here’s a list of all the winners from Saturday night:

Fastest Skater – Dylan Larkin, Detroit Red Wings

Larkin broke the record for fastest lap skate Saturday, passing former great Mike Gartner with a time of 13.172 seconds.

Breakaway Contest – PK Subban, Montreal Canadiens

Subban put on probably the best performance Saturday night in the Breakaway Contest. The Montreal Canadiens defenseman used clever stick skills and a miraculous leg kick in his first attempt and followed it up by donning a Jaromir Jagr wig and jersey to score his second.

Jagr, 43, is in his 25th year and is still as solid as ever for the Florida Panthers. The forward called Subban his “brother” and loved the effort that he went to in the attempt.

Accuracy Contest – John Tavares, New York Islanders

The captain of the Islanders didn’t disappoint Saturday and dominated the accuracy contest. The sniper only needed five shots to hit all four targets, taking the crown with an astounding time of 12.294 seconds.

The Islanders have their guy in Tavares, who’s on pace for another 30-goal season this year, his third.

Skills Challenge Relay – Western Conference

With the setup of the Skills Competition being points, the Western Conference needed the relay to keep them alive in the standings.

After an abysmal first heat, the West sealed the Relay with a second heat time of 1:27.69

Hardest Shot – Shea Weber, Nashville Predators

Shea Weber took home the Hardest Shot title once again. The Preds captain put everyone to shame Saturday by hitting a whopping 108.1 MPH slapshot.

Tampa Bay Lightning forward Steven Stamkos finished second at 103.9 MPH.

All-Star Game – Pacific Division

For those who missed the All-Star Game, the new format is set up so that each division has a team. Instead of the usual Western-Eastern matchup, it was the Atlantic v. Metropolitan in the East and Pacific v. Central in the West.

The Atlantic took down the Metropolitan 4-3 in game one and earned a spot in the final, while the Pacific shocked the Central when captain John Scott scored two goals.

In the final, it was a defensive battle and a surprise to anyone who’s used to the typical All-Star atmosphere. A goal by Corey Perry sealed it for the Pacific, who walked away with the 1-0 win and a cool $1 million.

Overall the All-Star weekend was a success and a step in the right direction for the NHL. Minus the distraction from the league’s pure lunacy when it came to John Scott, the weekend went well. Scott proved that he deserved to be in Nashville and was rewarded as such.

The All-Star game heads to Los Angeles in 2017 and it looks like the 3v3 format is here to stay.

For more sports, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport.

To contact Sports Editor Connor Ulrey, email sports@mtsusidelines.com.

Previous Severe storms to hit Murfreesboro Tuesday
Next Blue Raiders prepared for big Signing Day