Vinyl Theatre, Finish Ticket bring ‘Ones to Watch’ tour to Nashville

Brendan Hoye of Finish Ticket sings to a crowd during a set at 3rd and Lindsley in Nashville on Sunday, February 22, 2016. Finish Ticket's performance was part of their headlining tour with opening bands IRONTOM and Vinyl Theatre (MTSU Sidelines/Meagan White).

Photos by Meagan White // Staff Photographer

Finish Ticket and Vinyl Theatre took the stage as part of Lightning 100’s Nashville Sunday Night concert series at 3rd and Lindsley.

The bands were joined by LA-based alt-rock opener IRONTOM, and the five-piece ensemble didn’t disappoint. IRONTOM frontman Harry Hayes commanded the stage from the get-go, and Hayes and guitarist Zach Irons had a chemistry that felt like it spanned decades.

“It’s very natural, we just like to go brutal,” Irons told Sidelines after their set. “You gotta get something out of your life and that’s what we get out of our lives. I don’t work out, so that’s my time.”

The group proved their range throughout their set, which ranged from bass-heavy hard hits to insane drum bits from drummer Dylan Williams. Hayes displayed true vocal range, extending from screaming at the open to the softer spoken moments to the fun track “Your Mother.”

“We try to be strange a little bit, you know,” Hayes said. “We’re just very into like really intense rock.”

“I’ve seen some people be afraid when we’re playing,” Irons added. “They have fear in their eyes looking at me and us and I like it.”

Irons went on to add that the performance isn’t violent, but that the band promotes a “what is happening” mentality.

“We’re making a new record right now, produced by Aaron Bruno from AWOLNATION,” Irons said. “We’re working with him, we’re pretty deep into a record so that should be coming to the forefront here in the next year.”

IRONTOM, who is currently working on a new record produced by AWOLNATION’s Aaron Bruno, is a band to keep an eye on.

The Milwaukee-based trio Vinyl Theatre came out next, singing “Welcome to the Show” to the crowd before diving into their 2014 release, Electrogram.

The trio is a part of the Fueled by Ramen label, which represents artists such as Twenty One Pilots, Panic at the Disco, Paramore and others. The other headliner, Finish Ticket, toured parts of the country last year with Pilots, including a stop in Nashville last October.

Vinyl Theatre frontman Keegan Calmes stood out early on in the act by climbing on the outer parts of the stage and by pandering to the crowd.

Finish Ticket, a San Francisco product, took the stage next to “Wrong,” a track from their 2015 EP When Night Becomes Day, and they quickly moved into a full set, something they were unable to do in October.

Finish Ticket sat down with Sidelines before the concert to talk about the “Blurryface Tour” with Twenty One Pilots and what it was like to come back to Nashville.

“We’ve been a band for awhile, and it’s hard to land tours like that,” lead singer Brendan Hoye said. “You do a ton of touring, that’s definitely a dream tour for any band.”

Hoye said it was an honor to be the opening act and perform at venues like Red Rocks Amphitheater and the Ryman.

“We’ve been on smaller tours where the headliners don’t look out for you as much as they did,” Hoye said. “If we are fortunate enough to be there, we hope that when we’re there we can do the same for someone.”

“We’re seeing a lot of people come back [from the Blurryface Tour] and we get to show them the full spectrum of our band,” guitarist Guitarist Alex DiDonato added. “That put it in perspective that we need to make our [set] as captivating as possible.”

The band showed what they were capable of in a full set by making the leap from a 25-minute open to an hour long runtime. The band performed an impressive mix of songs from their album Tears You Apart to their latest EP, as well as a cover of the Killers “When We Were Young.”

“We put this EP out not to long ago, [so] we’re definitely going to be pushing that for awhile,” Hoye said. “We are still working on new music. The goal is to tour a lot but still find time to put together more new tunes and hopefully work towards another full-length record.”

The “Ones to Watch” tour runs through March 27 where the band will finish at home in San Francisco at the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium.

For more stories and updates, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter/Instagram at @Sidelines_Life.

To contact Lifestyles editor Tanner Dedmon email lifestyles@mtsusidelines.com.

Previous Obama: Guantanamo Bay undermines security, must be closed
Next Kanye West showcases production skills, new direction on 'The Life of Pablo'| Album Review