Blue Raider teams celebrate success at Murphy Center

Blue Raider Basketball
The two C-USA Championship teams celebrated successful seasons at the Murphy Center with Blue Raider faithful. The Championship Celebration Ceremony took place on Wednesday March 23 in the Murphy Center. (Sidelines|Sarah Grace Taylor)

Photo by Sarah Grace Taylor // Managing Editor

The Blue Raider men’s and women’s basketball teams were honored Wednesday night in recognition of their success during the 2015-16 campaign. In what’s been classified as one of the most successful years in program history, many stated Wednesday that the best was yet to come from Middle Tennessee.

Wednesday’s event opened celebrating the Lady Raiders’ success this season, and then the Blue Raider men, with play-by-play caller Chip Walters narrating the season in review. All the Middle Tennessee players came out to their own walk-out songs, as they did at Murphy Madness to start the season, and then the coaches were introduced.

“It’s meant so much, I couldn’t have asked to come to a better program,” senior Brea Edwards said about the event. “Fans support me, and the coaches and the whole team the way they do. I’m sad that it’s over for me, but I’ll definitely be back to visit.”

The largest applause of the night came, as expected, with the calls from MTSU’s win over Michigan State last Friday, a win that will long live as the biggest in school history.

“I’ll tell you what, when you beat Michigan State in St. Louis, our culture was on full display,” Head Coach Kermit Davis said during his speech. “The one thing that was fully on display was the culture of winning, winning with class and winning with dignity.”

After all the speeches, all fans in attendance had the chance to get signed championship posters from both teams. Before leaving the Murphy Center, it was easy to see the line was only getting bigger.

Darnell Harris closed out his time as a Blue Raider after the loss to Syracuse, but the senior said he’s never been more thankful.

“It’s amazing, we’ve seen these people all year, they supported us all year, even in our ups and downs,” Harris said. “To see the loyalty there, it’s special.”

For more sports stories, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport.

To contact Sports Editor Connor Grott, email sports@mtsusidelines.com or follow him on Twitter at @Connor_Grott.

Previous Hacker group challenges Trump, and why it matters
Next Lollapalooza announces 2016 lineup, headliners Radiohead, Red Hot Chili Peppers, LCD Soundsystem