MTSU guard Potts cleared to practice as C-USA tourney approaches

It’s all systems go for Middle Tennessee sophomore guard, Giddy Potts.

Potts, who suffered a concussion during MTSU’s loss against WKU on Feb. 25, underwent tests Monday, eventually being cleared by trainers for full contact in practice this week in preparation for Thursday’s Conference-USA Tournament matchup.

The Athens, Alabama native, missed the last three contests of the season with a concussion, but MTSU head coach Kermit Davis believes Potts will be ready to go for Thursday’s game against the winner of No. 7 seed Charlotte and No. 10 seed Rice, pending a good week of practice.

“Giddy [Potts] has been cleared to practice this week and we sure think he will be ready to play Thursday,” Davis said.

Following Potts’ injury, MTSU was without its starting backcourt with guard Jacob Ivory being ruled out for the remainder of the season after sustaining his third concussion in 14 months.

Potts will return to practice this week with All-Conference USA honors under his belt, following Monday’s announcement that Potts, along with MTSU forward Reggie Upshaw, was named to the C-USA third team.

Potts is the leading scorer for the Blue Raiders, averaging 15 points per game. Against WKU, his last game before being ruled out, the sophomore guard scored 19 points, his fifth-highest scoring outing this season.

Potts currently sits at second in the country with a 49.3 percent conversion rate from three-point territory.

“Giddy has shot the ball extremely well in league play and has been a very good rebounder for us,” Davis said on Monday morning. “We’re really looking forward to getting him back for the conference tournament.”

For more sports stories, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport.

To contact Sports Editor Connor Grott, email sports@mtsusidelines.com or follow him on Twitter at @Connor_Grott.