MTSU offense lacking in loss to Tennessee

Photo by Meagan White // Staff Photographer 

Middle Tennessee (12-13) traveled to Knoxville to take on in-state rival Tennessee  (15-9) on Tuesday night. Pitching seemed to be the key to this game for the Volunteers, holding MTSU to just two runs and winning with a final score of 9-2.

MTSU left 10 runners on-base, leading to a lack of offensive firepower throughout the night.

The Blue Raiders were held scoreless until the sixth inning when junior Kevin Dupree singled through the left side and freshman Austin Dennis scored.

MTSU used six pitchers in this game, which was seemingly their downfall. Senior Sam Alton started the game for the Blue Raiders, facing 13 batters, giving up two homers, and allowing four hits and four runs.

MTSU relievers were able to slow down the Volunteer offense, allowing just four earned runs in six innings of relief.

Freshman outfielder Shane Connahan recorded his first career RBI in a Blue Raider uniform.

The teams finished with 10 hits but just two runs, but their defense was solid, recording just one error.

Middle Tennessee will return home April 1 to host a Conference USA game against the Rice Owls (14-9) at 6 p.m.

For more sports stories, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport.

To contact Sports Editor Connor Grott, email sports@mtsusidelines.com or follow him on Twitter at @Connor_Grott.