Best Upset: Blue Raiders nominated for ESPY Award

JaQawn Raymond and Giddy Potts celebrate a win in game one of the 2016 NCAA tournament. MTSU upset Michigan with an unexpected 90-81 victory. (MTSU Sidelines/ Sarah Grace Taylor)

Photo by Sarah Grace Taylor/Editor-in-Chief 

The Blue Raiders continue to shine, even months after their upset win in the opening round of the NCAA tournament over No. 2 seed Michigan State. Middle Tennessee has been nominated for Best Upset at the annual ESPN awards ceremony, airing on ABC. The show hosted this year by John Cena, airs July 13th at 7 p.m. CT.

Holly Holm, with her knockout win over Ronda Rousey, and Roberta Vinci, with her upset win over Serena Williams at the U.S. Open, are the other nominees in the category.

“It will be great to be on stage with the best teams and athletes in the world,” Head Coach Kermit Davis said. “It’s another great event for the entire MTSU brand.”

The win for Middle further solidified their place on the map, just days after winning the C-USA championship in Birmingham, and destroyed over a quarter of brackets on ESPN’s Tournament Challenge.

The entire starting five for the Blue Raiders scored in double figures in the win over the Spartans, with Reggie Upshaw leading the charge with 21 points, including huge buckets down the stretch.

The Blue Raiders came out firing on all cylinders in St. Louis, and never trailed after opening up with a 15-2 run just minutes into the game.

Votes for Middle Tennessee can be made on the ESPY’s website here.

For more sports stories, follow us at www.mtsusidelines.com, on Facebook at MTSU Sidelines and on Twitter at @Sidelines_Sport.

To contact Sports Editor Connor Ulrey (@connorulrey), email sports@mtsusidelines.com.

Previous MTSU expands dual-enrollment options to attract homeschooled students
Next Forrest Hall name change endorsed by the TBR